Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Any Hyatt elites like me? Mostly for leisure, paying 100% out of pocket

Old Oct 18, 19, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi just curious if some of you here match my "user type" and if so, how you find the program's value, your best practices, and any other tips/tricks to make it more worthwhile. Or if you aren't "like" me but have insight to share, please do! Mods, if this thread is in the wrong place please move it as appropriate. But I am specifically wanting to learn and discuss WOH.

I am brand new to hotel loyalty of any kind, just decided kinda on a whim to go after status with Hyatt earlier this year, and am now Explorist but not planning to hit Globalist. Next year I should have no difficulty reaching Globalist since my travel plans so far make sense with Hyatt and I'll be using the credit card for the entire year.

The defining characteristics of my traveler profile, if you will, are that:
  • I'm primarily a leisure traveler and my wife and I have two young kids, so the majority of my leisure travel is as a party of 4.
  • Both my wife and I are location independent and while we are not a nomadic family (we have a home base) we do travel pretty often.
  • I run several businesses (as does my wife) and so with the occasional travel we book for work we typically seek affordability and always seek good value & convenience.
  • I have never been a corporate traveler, never previously experienced preferential treatment from loyalty, nor did I ever rack up thousands of points/miles on an employer's dime. My point is this type of thing is not in my DNA (yet), I don't have this type of experience/history, and so I don't necessarily feel hooked to it. I can get out if needed. Fast forward one year from now and maybe I'll feel differently.
  • Because of our family needs and our tendency towards slower travel, we book a lot with Airbnb. Actually if Airbnb had a loyalty program I think I'd have achieved lifetime status by now. We also are fortunate to have a lot of friends and family around the world who are able and willing to host us. This happens surprisingly often, though we've started to prefer having our own space now that we have 2 kids.
  • That said, I really like Hyatt as a brand. Probably my favorite, or at least one of my favorite, single travel brands overall.
So what are my concerns? Next year Q1 I already have quite a bit of travel planned that luckily happens to make sense with Hyatt. But I find this to be an anomaly. We're not doing much travel the rest of this year but the little bit that we are doing I am not finding any way for Hyatt to make sense. After Q1 next year we are sketching out a few major travel plans (approximately 60 days in 5 cities) and I don't see any Hyatt stays there anywhere. Obviously the limited number of locations is often an issue, but price point routinely comes into play too as there's usually far cheaper options that are suitable for our longer stays.

So moving forward, how easy will it be for someone like me to continue to achieve globalist? AND, how likely is it that I will get to truly enjoy the benefits of this globalist status?

The areas of best opportunity that I have found are in points bookings for suites (I have managed to secure two awesome suite reservations with points that are yielding .04-.05 cents/point) or points upgrades for suites, which are all tremendous value and also generally beneficial to us when traveling as a family. Another area I expect to yield good results is in simply seeking out the great value properties and/or dates and working them into our travels. Lastly, I've been looking for all the cheapest options (essentially cat 1s) in the portfolio and seeing which ones can potentially work for longer-term stays. But everything I listed above is mostly about how to get status...the benefits of having that status is largely inconsequential. HHs and HPs, which most cat 1s are, will not really offer much benefit to a globalist. Booking suites with points renders any comped suite upgrades meaningless. So am I missing something? Will I look back on my status next year and think it wasn't really worth compromising just to get more Hyatt stays? Is there something I can proactively do to make this loyalty program work better for us? If Airbnb does end up creating a loyalty program (has been rumored for sometime) then have I wasted all my time with this globalist nonsense, lol?

Anyway, thanks for reading this far and sharing any thoughts you might have. I definitely appreciate the wisdom of the FT Hyatt community!
Old Oct 18, 19, 9:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hi just curious if some of you here match my "user type" and if so, how you find the program's value, your best practices, and any other tips/tricks to make it more worthwhile. Or if you aren't "like" me but have insight to share, please do! Mods, if this thread is in the wrong place please move it as appropriate. But I am specifically wanting to learn and discuss WOH.

I am brand new to hotel loyalty of any kind, just decided kinda on a whim to go after status with Hyatt earlier this year, and am now Explorist but not planning to hit Globalist. Next year I should have no difficulty reaching Globalist since my travel plans so far make sense with Hyatt and I'll be using the credit card for the entire year.

The defining characteristics of my traveler profile, if you will, are that:
  • I'm primarily a leisure traveler and my wife and I have two young kids, so the majority of my leisure travel is as a party of 4.
  • Both my wife and I are location independent and while we are not a nomadic family (we have a home base) we do travel pretty often.
  • I run several businesses (as does my wife) and so with the occasional travel we book for work we typically seek affordability and always seek good value & convenience.
  • I have never been a corporate traveler, never previously experienced preferential treatment from loyalty, nor did I ever rack up thousands of points/miles on an employer's dime. My point is this type of thing is not in my DNA (yet), I don't have this type of experience/history, and so I don't necessarily feel hooked to it. I can get out if needed. Fast forward one year from now and maybe I'll feel differently.
  • Because of our family needs and our tendency towards slower travel, we book a lot with Airbnb. Actually if Airbnb had a loyalty program I think I'd have achieved lifetime status by now. We also are fortunate to have a lot of friends and family around the world who are able and willing to host us. This happens surprisingly often, though we've started to prefer having our own space now that we have 2 kids.
  • That said, I really like Hyatt as a brand. Probably my favorite, or at least one of my favorite, single travel brands overall.
So what are my concerns? Next year Q1 I already have quite a bit of travel planned that luckily happens to make sense with Hyatt. But I find this to be an anomaly. We're not doing much travel the rest of this year but the little bit that we are doing I am not finding any way for Hyatt to make sense. After Q1 next year we are sketching out a few major travel plans (approximately 60 days in 5 cities) and I don't see any Hyatt stays there anywhere. Obviously the limited number of locations is often an issue, but price point routinely comes into play too as there's usually far cheaper options that are suitable for our longer stays.

So moving forward, how easy will it be for someone like me to continue to achieve globalist? AND, how likely is it that I will get to truly enjoy the benefits of this globalist status?

The areas of best opportunity that I have found are in points bookings for suites (I have managed to secure two awesome suite reservations with points that are yielding .04-.05 cents/point) or points upgrades for suites, which are all tremendous value and also generally beneficial to us when traveling as a family. Another area I expect to yield good results is in simply seeking out the great value properties and/or dates and working them into our travels. Lastly, I've been looking for all the cheapest options (essentially cat 1s) in the portfolio and seeing which ones can potentially work for longer-term stays. But everything I listed above is mostly about how to get status...the benefits of having that status is largely inconsequential. HHs and HPs, which most cat 1s are, will not really offer much benefit to a globalist. Booking suites with points renders any comped suite upgrades meaningless. So am I missing something? Will I look back on my status next year and think it wasn't really worth compromising just to get more Hyatt stays? Is there something I can proactively do to make this loyalty program work better for us? If Airbnb does end up creating a loyalty program (has been rumored for sometime) then have I wasted all my time with this globalist nonsense, lol?

Anyway, thanks for reading this far and sharing any thoughts you might have. I definitely appreciate the wisdom of the FT Hyatt community!
Such a long post. What’s your most critical question right now?
dpb132 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 19, 9:40 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Honestly with the type of travel you are discussing I dont really see that much value in chasing globalist. Dpending on travel habits it may be worth it for others.

I'm a leisure traveler with hyatt, if Im lucky I get 5-10 nights a year at hyatt properties through work but still hit globalist almost every year. I spend about a month and a half in Asia every year and usually have to manufacture about 10-15 nights the rest of the year to keep status but its worth it to me. I have a cat 1 near me that if I use for 15 nights will run me less than $1500 and I get a lot more value than that from being a globalist as when I travel I generally stay at park hyatts when available in asia. The TSU and breakfast benefits are of TREMENDOUS value to me. breakfast alone for the 40 or so days in asia is probably well over $2000
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Oct 18, 19, 9:59 pm

You do have a long post...lol but to summarize I think you are asking if globalist is worth it as a family traveler. For me it absolutely is, my family is much larger than yours and the benefits from guest of honor, free breakfasts, and suite upgrades are immense.

I wouldn't manufacture if you had to manufacture half your nights but using the credit card could help.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Oct 18, 19, 10:02 pm

You said you book suites with points so the benefit there is easy. You'll save a lot of points by booking standard rooms and using a TSU instead. Breakfast for a family of 4 will be substantial savings.

How are you spending 60 nights in 5 cities without a single Hyatt property that works? Hyatt's strength in its footprint is cities - it's the more remote areas that tend to have a Hampton inn and a courtyard Marriott but no HP.
Old Oct 19, 19, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Based on what you've posted, I don't think it makes sense to chase status - especially with WoH, where a huge limitation will always be Hyatt's footprint. You're also often going to get significantly better value as a family out of AirBnB, and acknowledging that they absolutely vaporized superguest, I'd be amazed if they don't eventually roll something out.
Old Oct 19, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Based on what you've posted, I don't think it makes sense to chase status - especially with WoH, where a huge limitation will always be Hyatt's footprint. You're also often going to get significantly better value as a family out of AirBnB, and acknowledging that they absolutely vaporized superguest, I'd be amazed if they don't eventually roll something out.
Completely disagree. Once you get towards nomadic traveller status, 60 nights in a year becomes super easy, footprint or not.

28 nights in a suite minimum (with simple planning), and as many more as you like if you use points and or choose suites for the 70, 80, 90, 100 night milestones... Very easy to fit 2+2 into HP or HH rooms.

4 free breakfasts is a huge savings. Lounges are perfect for those soft drinks, snacks, etc.that the kids will want. Earning points gets you an automatic 10+% rebate, more for promos.

Airbnb gets you... nothing but an apartment where you do it all yourself... I'm not saying that there isn't a place for them, especially in places where hotel options are limited. But to walk away from hotel status to do nothing but Airbnb is short-sighted...
drewp123 and 59Impala like this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:05 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I'm in a similar situation - I have a little bit of work travel, but effectively all of my travel at Hyatts is self funded. Between my wife and I we have a lot of Chase/Hyatt points which help provide a lot of flexibility.

HP/HH aren't high end, but they will always work for 4 people, and since there are a lot of them at 5K points, it can provide a really great value and work towards globalist and free nights/TSU upgrades. We spend about one weekend per month at an "away" sporting event, so we're already up to 24 night credits.

We use the WoH credit card to get some free night credits. We spend at least $15K on it every year to get the free night certificate + 6 night credits.
So at this point we're up to ~30 night credits.

In resort/vacation places or in locations where we just want to upgrade to a larger room we'll use a TSU. We do about two, 1 week long family vacations per year so that adds 14 nights and now we're at 44.

And the remaining are from long weekend trips, going to see family, and in a pinch extra spend on the credit card. Prior to the CC I would do a little bit of mattress running during promos since I could more or less break even and that would get me up to status.

I agree with other posters (obviously not a random sample since this IS the Hyatt forum), the combination of breakfast for 4, lounge access, waived resort fees, free parking on award stays, late check out/early check in and regular room upgrades all mean that it is very valuable for us to maintain globalist status. Given that for us we need to do a lot of 2-3 night stays, we just don't love airbnb. I feel like it works well if you're going to be staying somewhere for a week, but checking in/out of AirBNB is always a little bit of a pain. With a hotel you can just show up whenever you want and you're never imposing on someone else. And if you need to overstay the next day (up to 4PM), I've never had an issue with Hyatt, it's always been granted.
Old Oct 19, 19, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B View Post
Which lucky for us you decided to copy in its entirety and added more, so now you're longer than the original post.
gabo02 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks I appreciate the replies!

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B View Post
Nothing at the moment. All of my critical questions have been answered in the forums already!

Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
You do have a long post...lol but to summarize I think you are asking if globalist is worth it as a family traveler. For me it absolutely is, my family is much larger than yours and the benefits from guest of honor, free breakfasts, and suite upgrades are immense.

I wouldn't manufacture if you had to manufacture half your nights but using the credit card could help.
Thanks. I mean this thought process is why I think it makes sense for me. I should be able to reach globalist without manufacturing nights out of nothing, but I'm sure there will plenty of times paying more for Hyatt when it's not the best value, or staying in Hyatts that are 15 minutes from where I would prefer to stay.

Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker View Post
You said you book suites with points so the benefit there is easy. You'll save a lot of points by booking standard rooms and using a TSU instead. Breakfast for a family of 4 will be substantial savings.

How are you spending 60 nights in 5 cities without a single Hyatt property that works? Hyatt's strength in its footprint is cities - it's the more remote areas that tend to have a Hampton inn and a courtyard Marriott but no HP.
Lol this makes sense. With TSUs I'll deliberately look at far higher categories than the suites that I booked so far. The cities would be Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, SF and somewhere en route to SF from Portland.

Vancouver would be staying with family.

Seattle appears to have plenty of options but wow they're expensive. Airbnb is pricey too but there are more options and therefore some better value plays for us. I guess that's just what you get with Seattle in the summertime.

Portland is a one-week stay and would need 2 bedrooms, as close to the center of downtown as possible. Found a 2/2 luxury apt on airbnb that is the same price as a single basic room in the HH on the outskirts of downtown. Found ok 2 bedroom options on the outskirts that are cheaper than a single room in the HH. Staying at HH just doesn't seem to make sense. Still waiting for the HR and HC's to provide pricing but it seems certain they will be higher priced than the HH. I'll pay significantly more for a full-service Hyatt vs Airbnb, but not what will likely be triple or more.

SF would be over a month. Hyatt offers a tremendous selection of properties here, but when staying over a month I just can't possibly justify, or really even afford it.

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Curious to see what happens!

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Completely disagree. Once you get towards nomadic traveller status, 60 nights in a year becomes super easy, footprint or not.

28 nights in a suite minimum (with simple planning), and as many more as you like if you use points and or choose suites for the 70, 80, 90, 100 night milestones... Very easy to fit 2+2 into HP or HH rooms.

4 free breakfasts is a huge savings. Lounges are perfect for those soft drinks, snacks, etc.that the kids will want. Earning points gets you an automatic 10+% rebate, more for promos.

Airbnb gets you... nothing but an apartment where you do it all yourself... I'm not saying that there isn't a place for them, especially in places where hotel options are limited. But to walk away from hotel status to do nothing but Airbnb is short-sighted...
Yeah, like I said before, this is the kind of perspective that gives me some reassurance. Our travel patterns will likely be evolving in the coming years (more international travel and possibly relocating our base to Asia) so it feels pretty likely that maintaining status will be worthwhile.

Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
I'm in a similar situation - I have a little bit of work travel, but effectively all of my travel at Hyatts is self funded. Between my wife and I we have a lot of Chase/Hyatt points which help provide a lot of flexibility.

HP/HH aren't high end, but they will always work for 4 people, and since there are a lot of them at 5K points, it can provide a really great value and work towards globalist and free nights/TSU upgrades. We spend about one weekend per month at an "away" sporting event, so we're already up to 24 night credits.

We use the WoH credit card to get some free night credits. We spend at least $15K on it every year to get the free night certificate + 6 night credits.
So at this point we're up to ~30 night credits.

In resort/vacation places or in locations where we just want to upgrade to a larger room we'll use a TSU. We do about two, 1 week long family vacations per year so that adds 14 nights and now we're at 44.

And the remaining are from long weekend trips, going to see family, and in a pinch extra spend on the credit card. Prior to the CC I would do a little bit of mattress running during promos since I could more or less break even and that would get me up to status.

I agree with other posters (obviously not a random sample since this IS the Hyatt forum), the combination of breakfast for 4, lounge access, waived resort fees, free parking on award stays, late check out/early check in and regular room upgrades all mean that it is very valuable for us to maintain globalist status. Given that for us we need to do a lot of 2-3 night stays, we just don't love airbnb. I feel like it works well if you're going to be staying somewhere for a week, but checking in/out of AirBNB is always a little bit of a pain. With a hotel you can just show up whenever you want and you're never imposing on someone else. And if you need to overstay the next day (up to 4PM), I've never had an issue with Hyatt, it's always been granted.
Thanks James. I must admit that I was hardcore airbnb for awhile but have recently come to really appreciate the benefits of nice hotels. It sounds like you are saying you're doing 50-60% of your nights at HH/HP and credit card spend, which means all of those "nights" don't really offer you any benefit. So with your remaining usage, you definitely find that it's worth it to be globalist?

Last edited by projectmaximus; Oct 19, 19 at 4:40 pm Reason: Mixed up Seattle and Philly in my memory
Old Oct 19, 19, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

So I guess the heart of my question is whether the globalist benefits are truly tangible benefits for a traveler like myself, or if they are largely psychological and manufactured, in the sense that they don't offer as much actual value as they do on paper.

I also envisioned that, if indeed there are a number of folks with the same needs and patterns as myself, we could have a more dedicated thread sharing ideas, hacks, or specific properties/regions that were useful. But yeah, maybe this is an unnecessary idea.
Old Oct 19, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
So I guess the heart of my question is whether the globalist benefits are truly tangible benefits for a traveler like myself, or if they are largely psychological and manufactured, in the sense that they don't offer as much actual value as they do on paper.
Asked and answered. Do you really need everything repeated?

I'll bet your friends enjoy having four house guests arriving on their doorsteps.
Old Oct 19, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
OP says he literally has ~60 nights planned over a stretch of three-quarters of the year next year where Hyatt doesn't make sense for both footprint and value reasons. Even the other quarter of the year next year, when Hyatt happens to work, is an "anomaly". I don't even know how Hyatt can be a recommendation for OP, love for Hyatt or not.

People keep bringing up things like breakfast and lounges when OP already states he is looking primarily for HH/HP value stays where those are utterly irrelevant.

Recommendations have to be tailored to the individual circumstance.
Old Oct 19, 19, 4:18 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Thanks James. I must admit that I was hardcore airbnb for awhile but have recently come to really appreciate the benefits of nice hotels. It sounds like you are saying you're doing 50-60% of your nights at HH/HP and credit card spend, which means all of those "nights" don't really offer you any benefit. So with your remaining usage, you definitely find that it's worth it to be globalist?
Yes, absolutely. When we take "nice vacations" they tend to be at places that would otherwise be prohibitively expensive.

For example:
Next week we're spending most of a week in Budapest at the Parisi Udvar. At 8K points/night, there is literally 0 additional cost, and it comes with breakfast ($$), and I applied a TSU so it's a suite, and they also have a lounge. Easily would cost $1,000+ for 5 nights (or really more like $1500-2000 given the suite we're in) and for points it was only 40K points.

Last year we did Maui. 5 nights at HR Maui on points (20K/night) + TSU. Again, points was the only cost. parking, resort fees, breakfast, lounge, upgrades, etc were all covered. We really only paid for food once per day since we had a large breakfast and evening snacks were frequently enough for dinner. Plus there was always water/soda available so we never had to pay for that.

We did a long weekend in NYC at Andaz a couple months ago. We got a cheap rate, and then got upgraded to a suite, free breakfast and waived resort fees.

One of the close-ish places we go to for weekend sports is a Category 1 Hyatt Regency. At 5K points/night it's fabulous, and they're good about upgrades and free breakfast. Normal nightly rate is around $150/nt. I could book with points even without status, but I wouldn't get upgrades or free breakfast (which isn't as valuable as they charge, but it's definitely still worthwhile).

Last edited by jameswes; Oct 19, 19 at 4:51 pm
Old Oct 19, 19, 4:58 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

I guess what it comes down to is that I've been able to treat my family to a lot of REALLY nice hotels in great locations over the years. And because of status, I've found that the hotels are incredibly flexible and working with you (switching room types vs what booked, upgrades, checkin/checkout times, priority for things like rollaway beds and cribs, connecting rooms, etc).
And the benefits really do save a lot of money.

Put another way - I wouldn't mattress run or pay $2,000 outright for status (Personally, though some years it could be pushing that). If I can shift stays to Hyatt and get close enough to status, I don't mind paying a little extra some times, being a little inconvenienced some times or needing to put spend on CC in order to get globalist.

I was Platinum Elite for a few years with Marriott and honestly liked it. But I feel like Hyatt's benefits are much better than Marriott (especially around resort fees, parking and breakfast). Marriott has a fantastic footprint, but I just feel like Hyatt provides the better services and value for what I'm looking for.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: