FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New AA Process: Bidding for First Class Upgrades
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:30 am
Biggie Fries

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
FWIW

Originally Posted by donotblink
There's also a new policy that prevents agents from double booking or protecting a passenger on multiple flights, but I don't have enough info about who is impacted by it (e.x. just airport staff or also reservations), also I'm not sure if all elite passengers are impacted.
Originally Posted by ryan182
Ugh, that would be a crap development! I do hope they will still allow protection for EXPs at least...especially given how all the airlines have ratcheted up the spend requirement to reach top-tier (published) status, not allowing protection bookings when IRROPS are in play would be bad form!
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
AA has already said internally that EXP & CK are exempt from this.
A few nights back we were de-planed from a flight for last-minute MX... a might-or-might-not get fixed situation, layered with a need to get a new crew since the existing one would be almost sure to time-out.

In other words, a typical AA "flight."

While I was cooling my jets in the waiting area, I called the EXP line to see if they would hold me a place on the next night's flight, if and when this one got scrubbed and/or I decided to go home and get some sleep. The EXP agent said that they could not do this; I would have to ask the gate agent at the airport. Which I did. The agent kept trying to do this, but couldn't get the second (protected) reservation to "stick." Finally got out their cellphone and called I'm not sure whom, puzzled over the matter with them, until I'm-not-sure-whom seem to have okayed some sort of override.

Didn't think too much about this at the time -- could have been a glitch for any number of reasons -- but reading the above now gives me pause.