FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Confirmed upgrade before checking w/o SNA?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:27 pm
wrytoast

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
First of all, everyone on this thread is awesome. Thanks.

So I’m planning on checking in on property at about 6PM (I checked in yesterday on the app). Three hours before that, I go online to see what rooms are bookable. I search to book three (not just one) 1BR suites. No problem. They’re available to book for the nights of my stay. I file that away.

Show up at the hotel, and go to the front desk. There are three positions. The “Bonvoy Elite” desk has no human anywhere in sight, so I stand in line for one of the two desks with people.

Here’s where it gets interesting. In general, in the US, I tip. I’ve worked enough service industry jobs to know how hard they are, and how a couple extra bucks can make someone’s day. I go to the clerk, and like always, hand over my driver’s license, Bonvoy credit card, and a $20 bill, and say, “thank you, this is for you.” The desk clerk says... “Oh, sir, there’s a $20 bill with your driver’s license,” and tries to hand it back to me. (We’re in Manhattan, by the way.) Sigh.

I politely let her know that that the $20 is a gratuity, and recognition for the hard work she does. (And by the way, I do the same thing whether I’m checking into a place with named suites or if it’s a Moxy where the room I booked is the room I’m going to get no matter what.) To me, tipping is karma and actual gratitude, not a bribe.)

So she says “Let me see if I can get you a King bed room.” Ok. Cool. At this point I say “That would be lovely, thank you; might there be any suites available to upgrade to?” She types for a while, and calls over the manager, points to something on the screen and says, “Mr. X is a Platinum member, but I don’t know if I can upgrade him to this room.” The manager laughs and says, “Of course. No problem.” The clerk says “I’m nervous to do that,” and the manager says “If you’re worried, just note the record that I said it was ok.”

So, I go to the room and it’s... nicer than what I booked, but, not anything like what I saw available online. At this point, I’m figuring, hey, whatever... not gonna be in the room that long, no problem. Then I look on the desk and there’s a bottle of champagne and some chocolate covered strawberries—and a postcard welcoming someone who is... not me... to this room.

I go back down to the front desk with the postcard and see the manager who approved the upgrade and say “Hey—don’t want to get anyone in trouble—seems like the room you gave me might have been reserved for someone else.” He frowns, and gets on the computer and rolls his eyes. We then start talking about the craziness of hotel rooms in Manhattan, etc... and he says “I’m really sorry about that. Let me see what I can do for you. I have a junior suite on a high floor...” then pokes around a bit more and says “Oh. No. Cool. I have a great 1BR suite for you, if that’s ok.” Of course it’s ok. I say thank you, and I’m now in a great, quiet room in Manhattan, that, incidentally, is way better than the first room, so...

I don’t think checking in online or not made any difference whatsoever... But, you know, like in other things in life, being nice to people and being empathetic leads to them being inclined to take care of you.

But.. grateful to folks on this thread for their insight.