FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - National cancelled rental agreement mid-rental without notifying me.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:57 pm
aww3583

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
National cancelled rental agreement mid-rental without notifying me.

I recently completed a multi-day rental. Upon return, the garage agent couldn't locate the rental agreement in the computer. In order to complete the return process, I physically had to go to the National desk and wait while a different agent created a new RA and immediately close it. I was only charged 1 day for the rental when I physically had possession of the vehicle for 2.5 days. As expected, I only received credit for 1 rental day, and no 1-2-Free credit since a 1-day rental does not qualify for the promotion.

I emailed National, hoping to have the appropriate credits applied to my Emerald Club and 1-2-Free profiles, similar to Original Routing Credit for airlines.

National replied saying the original rental agreement under which the vehicle was rented was cancelled within 24 hours of pick-up. They indicated that since I was only charged for 1 day, I wouldn't receive any other promotional credits.

What would have happened if there was an accident or issue while I was in possession of the vehicle during the period when there was no active rental agreement?

Am I being unreasonable by asking why the agreement was cancelled and for requesting promotional credit?