Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

National cancelled rental agreement mid-rental without notifying me.

Old Sep 26, 19, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE

I recently completed a multi-day rental. Upon return, the garage agent couldn't locate the rental agreement in the computer. In order to complete the return process, I physically had to go to the National desk and wait while a different agent created a new RA and immediately close it. I was only charged 1 day for the rental when I physically had possession of the vehicle for 2.5 days. As expected, I only received credit for 1 rental day, and no 1-2-Free credit since a 1-day rental does not qualify for the promotion.

I emailed National, hoping to have the appropriate credits applied to my Emerald Club and 1-2-Free profiles, similar to Original Routing Credit for airlines.

National replied saying the original rental agreement under which the vehicle was rented was cancelled within 24 hours of pick-up. They indicated that since I was only charged for 1 day, I wouldn't receive any other promotional credits.

What would have happened if there was an accident or issue while I was in possession of the vehicle during the period when there was no active rental agreement?

Am I being unreasonable by asking why the agreement was cancelled and for requesting promotional credit?
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
You missed out on half a free day, but got two free days (as it would have been a three day rental). Sounds to me like you came out ahead.
m907 and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
You missed out on half a free day, but got two free days (as it would have been a three day rental). Sounds to me like you came out ahead.
Employer came out ahead.
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Loyalty" programs which provide individual benefits for employer-paid travel run that risk.

I suppose you could insist that National bill for those days and then give you credit. Just run it by your employer first.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 19, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
"Loyalty" programs which provide individual benefits for employer-paid travel run that risk.

I suppose you could insist that National bill for those days and then give you credit. Just run it by your employer first.
Eh, agreed, but not worth the effort to try and monkey with expense reports.

I'm fairly certain National would have handled everything professionally in the unlikely event of an issue, but worst case scenario, would/could National deny coverage since there was no active agreement?
Old Sep 28, 19, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You would likely have been covered, but it would have taken forever to prove that the contract cancellation was an error and that neither you nor your employer had anything to do with that error.
Old Oct 1, 19, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
It doesn't sound like it was actually cancelled...probably just someone at some location fat fingering a "return", which has happened to me. Picked up in SoCal, returned to SFO 5 hours later, and at some point during my drive, it was "returned" to Omaha. Obviously a mistake, but it took a few minutes to get sorted.
Old Oct 24, 19, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

OP here...

Called in mid-rental to make a change to the drop off.

Phone agent keyed in my RA# and said “hmm... that agreement is showing as cancelled. Can you read me the VIN?”

She was able to make the necessary changes after working around in the system for a few minutes. She couldn’t explain why the agreement was cancelled.

One instance of this is an anomaly. Now it’s happened during 2 of my last 3 rentals. Different locations, different vehicles, etc.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
OP here...

Called in mid-rental to make a change to the drop off.

Phone agent keyed in my RA# and said “hmm... that agreement is showing as cancelled. Can you read me the VIN?”

She was able to make the necessary changes after working around in the system for a few minutes. She couldn’t explain why the agreement was cancelled.

One instance of this is an anomaly. Now it’s happened during 2 of my last 3 rentals. Different locations, different vehicles, etc.
What did they charge you for the second one?
Old Oct 25, 19, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
What did they charge you for the second one?
Full, expected price.

She asked for the VIN and I couldn’t give it to her because I was driving. She said she was able to “look me up” in an “alternative system”. Probably by Emerald Club number, but she never asked me to verify my personal details.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: