FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reduced Mileage Award- -origin city won't trigger discount?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:44 pm
no1cub17

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Chad073
Does anyone have recent experience booking an American Airlines Reduced Mileage Award with the ORIGIN city being on the current RMA list?

In the past, RMAs have been available if *either* the destination or origin city was included on the current RMA list. Knoxville is on the list, and I'm trying to book an RMA from Knoxville to San Juan, but a couple of AA ExPlat phone agents have entered the RMA code I provided and the system won't discount the mileage. (The RMA terms and conditions state the travel must originate in the 48 contiguous US states . . . so my itinerary meets that requirement.)
Interesting - I guess I could look this up but I've always assumed the reduced mileage awards only were applicable to journeys in the lower 48 with the city as either the origin or destination. Maybe there's an issue because your journey is to SJU? It wouldn't at all shock me if AA.com was either wrong or incomplete regarding this.