Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reduced Mileage Award- -origin city won't trigger discount?

Old Sep 20, 19, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have recent experience booking an American Airlines Reduced Mileage Award with the ORIGIN city being on the current RMA list?

In the past, RMAs have been available if *either* the destination or origin city was included on the current RMA list. Knoxville is on the list, and I'm trying to book an RMA from Knoxville to San Juan, but a couple of AA ExPlat phone agents have entered the RMA code I provided and the system won't discount the mileage. (The RMA terms and conditions state the travel must originate in the 48 contiguous US states . . . so my itinerary meets that requirement.)
Old Sep 20, 19, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Chad073 View Post
Does anyone have recent experience booking an American Airlines Reduced Mileage Award with the ORIGIN city being on the current RMA list?

In the past, RMAs have been available if *either* the destination or origin city was included on the current RMA list. Knoxville is on the list, and I'm trying to book an RMA from Knoxville to San Juan, but a couple of AA ExPlat phone agents have entered the RMA code I provided and the system won't discount the mileage. (The RMA terms and conditions state the travel must originate in the 48 contiguous US states . . . so my itinerary meets that requirement.)
Interesting - I guess I could look this up but I've always assumed the reduced mileage awards only were applicable to journeys in the lower 48 with the city as either the origin or destination. Maybe there's an issue because your journey is to SJU? It wouldn't at all shock me if AA.com was either wrong or incomplete regarding this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It definitely can be either the origin or destination. I booked one just a few weeks ago RDU-DFW where RDU was on the list.

However in this case, isn't SJU outside the normal domestic award zone so a reduced mileage award wouldn't be valid?
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-awards.jsp

The flights have to be within the US
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-awards.jsp

The flights have to be within the US
Clearly there's more to it. Last I checked, Puerto Rico was indeed a US territory.
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
Clearly there's more to it. Last I checked, Puerto Rico was indeed a US territory.
...but is considered part of the Caribbean on the award chart.
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
PR is considered unincorporated, meaning it's technically not part of the US. The only incorporated territory is Palmyra, this despite being uninhabited. As it is unincorporated, only the very basics of the US Constitution even apply. This is why Congress can exempt PR citizens from paying taxes.

Note unincorporated is different from unorganized. PR is organized by an act of Congress. Thus a local government is established. However as unincorporated it's not subject to the US Constitution as it has not been "incorporated" into the US.
Old Sep 21, 19, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It isn't in the within Contiguous 48 U.S. states & Canada award chart - it is a Caribbean award destination

My understanding is that the discount award codes are only valid for awards for origins and destinations within the 48 U.S. states & Canada award chart
FAA1996 and enpremiere like this.
Old Sep 21, 19, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
SJU isn't on the list of destinations at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-awards.jsp. Note that Step 3 says "Choose your destination" and SJU isn't listed as one of the valid destinations.

Travel must originate in the 48 contiguous United States (so TYS is ok) but still has to be to a destination on the RMA list (so SJU is not ok).
Old Sep 21, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
SJU isn't on the list of destinations at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-awards.jsp. Note that Step 3 says "Choose your destination" and SJU isn't listed as one of the valid destinations.

Travel must originate in the 48 contiguous United States (so TYS is ok) but still has to be to a destination on the RMA list (so SJU is not ok).
No.

As mentioned above, any city on the list can be either the origin or destination.
Old Sep 21, 19, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
PR is considered unincorporated, meaning it's technically not part of the US. The only incorporated territory is Palmyra, this despite being uninhabited. As it is unincorporated, only the very basics of the US Constitution even apply. This is why Congress can exempt PR citizens from paying taxes.

Note unincorporated is different from unorganized. PR is organized by an act of Congress. Thus a local government is established. However as unincorporated it's not subject to the US Constitution as it has not been "incorporated" into the US.
True, but Puerto Ricans can freely travel to/from the US mainland without requiring a passport or visa. So for practical purposes, it's part of the United States.
Old Sep 21, 19, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
...but is considered part of the Caribbean on the award chart.
I agree. PR is in a different award region. But it's still part of the US.
Old Sep 21, 19, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
No.

As mentioned above, any city on the list can be either the origin or destination.
That's not what AA says.
Old Sep 21, 19, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
That's not what AA says.
That's true, but shockingly enough, AA's website isn't 100% accurate. In real life the discount applies whether the city on the list is the origin OR destination. Who knows, maybe this is a bank error in our favor and will get corrected at some point.
Old Sep 21, 19, 11:38 am

That's true, but shockingly enough, AA's website isn't 100% accurate. In real life the discount applies whether the city on the list is the origin OR destination. Who knows, maybe this is a bank error in our favor and will get corrected at some point.
Odd. I just called to ask and the agent confirmed it's destination only.

Search this Thread