FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt House Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:58 am
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Hyatt House Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Don't see a thread for this. I had a so-so stay.

Pluses: The breakfast is solid. They have the usual selections and an omelet station, with a different selection every day. Plus coffee and water most of the day. The room is fine. Good TV selection, comfortable bed, and walk-in shower.

Plus/Minus: The shuttle service is convenient when it it's available. It advertises service within a five-mile radius, which gives plenty of options, plus the Wiehle Metro, which is around 10-15 minutes away. However, once when I called for the shuttle, the front desk put me on hold for 15 minutes. I gave up and called back and, with no apology or explanation, the guy told me that the current run wasn't operating and I had to wait another half an hour. It came an hour later. There's only one shuttle, and perhaps a lot of demand, so I didn't find this too unreasonable. Similarly, I didn't really find it practical to take the shuttle when returning on the Metro. They say there is one run departing every half hour, but you can't book in advance, so you basically have to call the hotel around the departure time and hope they can work you in. Fine if you are patient; I ended up taking a taxi for around $20.

Minuses: The front desk agents were really surly in general. The biggest issue is that they refused to store my luggage overnight after I checked out. I told them I had never heard of any hotel, at least a reasonably upscale chain, not offering this service. They responded that this was the policy. I pressed them and they said that it was due to, of course, "security" because they are "an airport hotel." I was pretty outraged and told them this is ridiculous. I cancelled my reservation for a week later. Also, housekeeping attempted to enter my room, without even knocking, when I had the DND tag on before 9:00am. (I had the deadbolt-like flap secured fortunately.)

Overall, the rate was not that great; it was my first Hyatt House stay and I did it mostly for the brand explorer. That box is checked and I won't return to this location.