Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

Don't see a thread for this. I had a so-so stay.

Pluses: The breakfast is solid. They have the usual selections and an omelet station, with a different selection every day. Plus coffee and water most of the day. The room is fine. Good TV selection, comfortable bed, and walk-in shower.

Plus/Minus: The shuttle service is convenient when it it's available. It advertises service within a five-mile radius, which gives plenty of options, plus the Wiehle Metro, which is around 10-15 minutes away. However, once when I called for the shuttle, the front desk put me on hold for 15 minutes. I gave up and called back and, with no apology or explanation, the guy told me that the current run wasn't operating and I had to wait another half an hour. It came an hour later. There's only one shuttle, and perhaps a lot of demand, so I didn't find this too unreasonable. Similarly, I didn't really find it practical to take the shuttle when returning on the Metro. They say there is one run departing every half hour, but you can't book in advance, so you basically have to call the hotel around the departure time and hope they can work you in. Fine if you are patient; I ended up taking a taxi for around $20.

Minuses: The front desk agents were really surly in general. The biggest issue is that they refused to store my luggage overnight after I checked out. I told them I had never heard of any hotel, at least a reasonably upscale chain, not offering this service. They responded that this was the policy. I pressed them and they said that it was due to, of course, "security" because they are "an airport hotel." I was pretty outraged and told them this is ridiculous. I cancelled my reservation for a week later. Also, housekeeping attempted to enter my room, without even knocking, when I had the DND tag on before 9:00am. (I had the deadbolt-like flap secured fortunately.)

Overall, the rate was not that great; it was my first Hyatt House stay and I did it mostly for the brand explorer. That box is checked and I won't return to this location.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:50 pm

Store luggage overnight on site for someone who is not presently a guest? I'm glad they don't do it.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I have stayed at this property several times over the past 6 years. They stopped having the Wall Street Journal as a newspaper about 9 months ago, and I told them I found that unacceptable. The breakfast offered at this hotel is the standard breakfast at a Hyatt House. Some Hyatt House properties offer more stuff for breakfast. The HH Falls Church/Merrifield in the Mosaic District near Tysons Corner has a better breakfast and close access to the Dunn Loring metro station. The two Hyatt House properties in Bellevue WA and Redmond WA have extra breakfast dishes geared towards travelers from Japan. White rice, miso soup and pickled vegetables were offered in prior stays at both properties.

You pay extra for the better breakfast and higher quality rooms at the HH Falls Church/Merrifield since room rates are usually $40-100 more on weekends and weekdays with the higher amount for weekday stays. You dont need a car if you are in the Mosaic District since there are plenty of restaurants and a super Target within walking distance.

I have only used the airport shuttle for the HH Dulles North, and it is fine as long as you do not need to be picked up at Dulles anytime after 11 pm. Other hotels have later running shuttles. The Doubletree in Sterling has a 24 hour airport shuttle available by request.

You also need to budget some extra time to get to the airport in the morning since the hotel is a good 6 miles away from the airport.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Bumping this thread for anyone who may have a stay here in the future to see what the rooms are like.

Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I like this HH for a quick stay. Good rooms, good location, easy parking, close to Dulles. Have never tried the breakfast. I will continue to stay here when in the area.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Is this the former Sierra Suites hotel? I just stayed there, It seems to be not as good as I remebered it a few years ago. Especially the breakfast offerings.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Based on pictures of HP and HH around Dullas (from the Hyatt site), they all seem to be a conversion (ie., the sink is outside of the bathroom). I avoid them like the plague.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Based on pictures of HP and HH around Dullas (from the Hyatt site), they all seem to be a conversion (ie., the sink is outside of the bathroom). I avoid them like the plague.
I think those are the HP's (and I agree I hate that design--who came up with that??). It's possible I'm mixing up my hotels but I'm almost certain this HH has a full bathroom and is nothing like an HP.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NJNY
I think those are the HP's (and I agree I hate that design--who came up with that??). It's possible I'm mixing up my hotels but I'm almost certain this HH has a full bathroom and is nothing like an HP.
I think you are right... this may be a new build HH.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:33 am

Ok, my bad. I went back to this hotel and you are correct--the sink area is outside of the bathroom!

I still do like the rooms at this HH, but I agree fully about that layout.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure if they addressed this but I had a pretty long stay here last year and ran into multiple housekeeping issues (towels not being delivered, rooms not being cleaned after asking them) throughout the stay. So, just a heads up for anyone looking to stay more than 2+ nights.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Staying here Today and this is a horrible hotel. I plan to post pictures and assessment here soon. Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2023, 12:08 pm

I stayed at the Hyatt House Herndon very recently and it was fine for a couple of days. The people are nice and room is a bit outdated with older furniture and small TVs, but the parking is free and the breakfast was fine -- they alternated meat dishes each day, (turkey sausage links, turkey patties, bacon) and they had scrambled eggs and sometimes cheese omelets.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. AC worked great!

The Sterling Dulles property had a newer looking room but it charged $10/day to park, something I am philosophically against when it is a suburban property.
NJNY likes this.

Last edited by COLINDAD; Jul 12, 2023 at 12:09 pm Reason: Forgot to add something....
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
I think you are right... this may be a new build HH.
Here's the build date that our company's travel site shows for this property:

Year Built 2007
​​​​​​​David
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by COLINDAD
I stayed at the Hyatt House Herndon very recently and it was fine for a couple of days. The people are nice and room is a bit outdated with older furniture and small TVs, but the parking is free and the breakfast was fine -- they alternated meat dishes each day, (turkey sausage links, turkey patties, bacon) and they had scrambled eggs and sometimes cheese omelets.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. AC worked great!

The Sterling Dulles property had a newer looking room but it charged $10/day to park, something I am philosophically against when it is a suburban property.
I too am against suburban properties charging for parking - especially when the lot is not controlled access nor monitored. My company's travel site still shows that parking is free for the HH Sterling - but the hotel's transportation page belies this (Sterling Va. Map | Hyatt House Sterling / Dulles Airport-North) and confirms your note about $10/day for parking.

Looks like the HH Herndon's thread hasn't been touched in a few years (Hyatt house (Summerfield) - Herndon, VA (DC area) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD).

Also, the Herndon HH is an older Amerisuites/Summerfield property:

Year Built 1999
David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.