FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is the new AKL Regional lounge almost complete?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:22 pm
oranjemakker

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Maybe. I spent around 10 hours in the International Lounge on Fri 30 Aug after TG492 went unserviceable and I re-routed to BKK on NZ/CX via HKG - so I had plenty of time to observe the growing lounge numbers until the 5pm- 9pm period of chaos and crowding.

The thing that stands out most in my mind was not dress code issues (don’t recall any), it was was noise generated by (mainly) women drinking quite a lot of wine.

Specifically, I observed group of 6 women who consumed 5 ‘full’ glasses of wine (each) before boarding their flight to HNL in the ‘porch area’ behind the second bar, and the change of noise level over the 90-120 minutes they were there was notable. Unfortunately, the lounge was so full I couldn’t relocate. To be fair, they were not totally obnoxious, just extremely loud with quite a lot of swearing thrown in.

Improving general behaviour and consideration for others ranks higher for me than implementing and (somehow) policing dress code...

By way of comparison, pax in CX’s Pier at HKG, TG/SQ/BR/TK lounges in BKK, and LX’s Senator Lounge(s) in ZRH were all very much quieter. And yes, the dress code similar to that quoted by @oranjemakker appeared to be broadly adhered to in all of these lounges.

Perhaps my recent KC experience (a modest data point I know), is just a generalized reflection of NZ culture?
To be honest the worst dress i have seen is in the domestic lounges. Tank tops and jandals. I'm probably old fashioned, but it seems to me the dress can reflect on behaviour?
relating to overcrowding, a dress code might help simply because people would be turned away (I suppose this would be short term as people might learn...)

In the domestic lounge in AKL especially Thursday and Friday evenings feels like a pub, with people standing around getting the drinks in....A fair share of them are "suits" so a dress code would not solve all problems!!!