FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK Resident using US Expedia site to rent a car in Middle East
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:03 pm
GeoHurst33

UK Resident using US Expedia site to rent a car in Middle East

Hi everyone

I'm a UK resident travelling to Oman soon, and want to rent a car for the duration through a US-priced website, but need to understand if this affects my insurance options.

It's cheaper for me to book a car rental through the US Expedia website for a Dollar Car Rental, than any GBP priced aggregators (Dollar isn't even an option), and these come without Collision Damage Waiver. I have an Amex Plat (issued in the UK) which I always use to pay for car rentals as I decline the excess insurance, but I've never rented through a non-local website. The card's insurance T&Cs for car rentals state:

Car Rental Benefits – Theft, Damage and Liability
- Up to £50,000 for theft or damage to vehicle (including any applicable excess)
- Up to £500,000 (Up to US$1 million in USA) for damage to another person or their property
Exclusions:

* Commercial vehicles, motor homes, caravans and trailers
* Cover applies only when rental agency allows refusal of their insurance
* An insured person must be named on the rental agreement

Question: Do I run the risk of invalidated insurance / potential claims being denied by any of the following facts:
* I'm accessing US rates through a VPN, even though I'm a UK resident
* I'm paying for this rental through Expedia for Dollar Car Rental using a GBP issued card
* I'm booking through a US rate but do not have a US drivers license (nor UK, but this has never been an issue)

I don't imagine this could be an issue, as the contract will be between Dollar Car and myself upon landing in Oman and as long as I have a valid credit card etc. I should be good. The T&Cs don't mention this either.

Does anyone have any advice on this????

Many thanks.

G