Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

UK Resident using US Expedia site to rent a car in Middle East

Old Sep 16, 19, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone

I'm a UK resident travelling to Oman soon, and want to rent a car for the duration through a US-priced website, but need to understand if this affects my insurance options.

It's cheaper for me to book a car rental through the US Expedia website for a Dollar Car Rental, than any GBP priced aggregators (Dollar isn't even an option), and these come without Collision Damage Waiver. I have an Amex Plat (issued in the UK) which I always use to pay for car rentals as I decline the excess insurance, but I've never rented through a non-local website. The card's insurance T&Cs for car rentals state:

Car Rental Benefits Theft, Damage and Liability
- Up to 50,000 for theft or damage to vehicle (including any applicable excess)
- Up to 500,000 (Up to US$1 million in USA) for damage to another person or their property
Exclusions:

* Commercial vehicles, motor homes, caravans and trailers
* Cover applies only when rental agency allows refusal of their insurance
* An insured person must be named on the rental agreement

Question: Do I run the risk of invalidated insurance / potential claims being denied by any of the following facts:
* I'm accessing US rates through a VPN, even though I'm a UK resident
* I'm paying for this rental through Expedia for Dollar Car Rental using a GBP issued card
* I'm booking through a US rate but do not have a US drivers license (nor UK, but this has never been an issue)

I don't imagine this could be an issue, as the contract will be between Dollar Car and myself upon landing in Oman and as long as I have a valid credit card etc. I should be good. The T&Cs don't mention this either.

Does anyone have any advice on this????

Many thanks.

G
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:46 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
The counter may be expecting a person holding a US drivers license. Other than that, I would not expect American Express's insurance to care about what currency was paid for the rental. You could always say you booked this while you were traveling in the US.

Search this Thread