FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hawaiian Air .. how can I structure this to work ?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:22 pm
garykung
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
of course you can link reservations on most airlines. Just call the airline or get travel agent to do it. (you might not be able to on some LCCs)
Try and see that if you are so confident about this...

Originally Posted by bec
The kids are 16, 18 and 20. Jut curious though what would be the scenerio where something happen? They would leave the passenger with the reward, but why? Overbooked? I have Marriott Bonvoy Points that I can transfer over to give enough for a round trip would that make a difference?
Things happen when HA decides to rebook for any reasons. In most of the case, airlines (not just HA) follow a general rule to decide rebooking priority - frequent flyer status and fare class. So for a non-elite traveler flying in award, it basically means when things happen, this traveler is basically SOL.

Because of that treatment - in your case, when things happen, HA will try their best to accommodate everyone as a group if you book 5-in-1. But if you book 4+1-in-2, the 1 as award travel will mostly be forced to separate from the main party and will be on his/her own. This will be extremely problematic if minor children are involved.

I stand correct about my advice. But if you insist on booking someone with award, please make that person one of the adult parent (assuming) or any other capable adult. So that, if something did happen, at least there would be 1 parent bringing the children home, and the one left behind can handle him/herself.

Note - I am not advocating for or against any airlines as this can happen in any airlines, not just HA.