FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WestJet Link approved for cross-border flights
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:06 am
Fiordland

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I really doubt that WestJet will use Link to feed into Delta hubs in Seattle or Minneapolis -- bypassing their own Calgary and Vancouver hubs. The economics just don't make sense for them. The money is in getting connecting traffic going through their own hubs, not in operating the small feeder going into another airline's hub. I doubt we'll see Link (or Encore) on YYJ-SEA or YQR-MSP ... or anything similar. I expect that any new Link flights will only operate to/from YYC and YVR.

(SEA-YVR is a possibility, even though Delta already operates that route on Embraers today. United operated Beech1900s on that route for years and years ... directly competing with their own partner Air Canada. Then, UA's flights were positioned to feed traffic from BC into their Seattle mini-hub, while AC's flights were positioned to build traffic over their YVR hub. Partner airlines are still competing with each other.)

And there's always a possibility that this is a longer term play, with eyes on building short-haul cross-border into their YYZ hub sometime down the road. That might be a stretch for Pacific Coastal, but WS is still very much focused on growing Toronto.
If WS and Delta have a joint venture arrangement does that not change the economics? I would have thought as a joint venture setup it become irrelevant which of the two airlines operates a specific flight.