FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Splitting Record & Maintaining Free Bags?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:20 am
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CGNC
Quick question. I'm a Platinum with three travelers on the same record for an upcoming trip. We're backpacking in CO and I've kept the record intact as I understand each of them will be entitled to free bags. I'm pretty sure this is the case, but if I split the PNR such that my dad and I are eligible for an upgrade to first (I have way more 500-mile upgrades than I'll ever use) would the other two passengers lose the bag allowance? If so, it may not be worth the split, but curious if anyone has had experience getting this to work. I think my dad might enjoy the thrill of a FC flight, if it works out.
The policy is the elite bag allowance only applies to passengers on the same PNR.
If you split the PNR, you would no longer be on the same PNR as they are, so the elite baggage allowance would not apply to them, though it is possible an agent might ignore this.
That said, as PLT, you can check 2 bags for each passenger on your PNR, so if each passenger only had one bag, then you could simply check their bags as yours and your dad's