Splitting Record & Maintaining Free Bags?

Old Sep 3, 19, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Splitting Record & Maintaining Free Bags?

Quick question. I'm a Platinum with three travelers on the same record for an upcoming trip. We're backpacking in CO and I've kept the record intact as I understand each of them will be entitled to free bags. I'm pretty sure this is the case, but if I split the PNR such that my dad and I are eligible for an upgrade to first (I have way more 500-mile upgrades than I'll ever use) would the other two passengers lose the bag allowance? If so, it may not be worth the split, but curious if anyone has had experience getting this to work. I think my dad might enjoy the thrill of a FC flight, if it works out.
Old Sep 4, 19, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by CGNC View Post
Quick question. I'm a Platinum with three travelers on the same record for an upcoming trip. We're backpacking in CO and I've kept the record intact as I understand each of them will be entitled to free bags. I'm pretty sure this is the case, but if I split the PNR such that my dad and I are eligible for an upgrade to first (I have way more 500-mile upgrades than I'll ever use) would the other two passengers lose the bag allowance? If so, it may not be worth the split, but curious if anyone has had experience getting this to work. I think my dad might enjoy the thrill of a FC flight, if it works out.
The policy is the elite bag allowance only applies to passengers on the same PNR.
If you split the PNR, you would no longer be on the same PNR as they are, so the elite baggage allowance would not apply to them, though it is possible an agent might ignore this.
That said, as PLT, you can check 2 bags for each passenger on your PNR, so if each passenger only had one bag, then you could simply check their bags as yours and your dad's
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
That said, as PLT, you can check 2 bags for each passenger on your PNR, so if each passenger only had one bag, then you could simply check their bags as yours and your dad's
This...
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:03 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
The policy is the elite bag allowance only applies to passengers on the same PNR.
If you split the PNR, you would no longer be on the same PNR as they are, so the elite baggage allowance would not apply to them, though it is possible an agent might ignore this.
I've heard this before, but IIRC, doesn't your ticket receipt have to show checked bag fees, wouldn't it show 2 at $0 each up to 50lbs for Platinum/Platinum Pro and couldn't someone on a divorced PNR use that as a predicate for free bags?
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
No. Not sure what the receipt has to do with it.

you can check a companions bag as yours, and your fee structure applies. You canít gift bag allowance to others.

i always check my wifeís bag as mine if the total doesnít exceed 3 as that is the ExPlat allowance, and my treatment when bags go astray is better than my wifeís who doesnít have status. (Said treatment has still been miserable, but better than it would otherwise be).
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:00 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
No. Not sure what the receipt has to do with it.

you can check a companions bag as yours, and your fee structure applies. You canít gift bag allowance to others.

i always check my wifeís bag as mine if the total doesnít exceed 3 as that is the ExPlat allowance, and my treatment when bags go astray is better than my wifeís who doesnít have status. (Said treatment has still been miserable, but better than it would otherwise be).
Look at the bottom

Look at the bottom of a trip confirmation e-mail receipt and you'll see something like this (if you're elite)

Baggage Information

Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -LGADEN-No free checked bags/ American Airlines 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-LGADEN-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-LGADEN-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCES AND/OR DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY
Old Sep 4, 19, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if the baggage info on an e-ticket receipt accounts for fee waivers due to elite status. At least it doesn't on DL, though I'm not entirely sure on AA.

Aside from the 2x2 allowance for the Plat and companion, I think if you were to point out that the PNRs were originally booked together and then split (I think the agent should be able to see that in the PNR history), you might have better luck getting an agent to waive the baggage fee for the non-elites.
Old Sep 4, 19, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I don't know if the baggage info on an e-ticket receipt accounts for fee waivers due to elite status. At least it doesn't on DL, though I'm not entirely sure on AA.

Aside from the 2x2 allowance for the Plat and companion, I think if you were to point out that the PNRs were originally booked together and then split (I think the agent should be able to see that in the PNR history), you might have better luck getting an agent to waive the baggage fee for the non-elites.
It does, as you can see in the example I showed above, it's $0 for a domestic Y booking.
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
I've heard this before, but IIRC, doesn't your ticket receipt have to show checked bag fees, wouldn't it show 2 at $0 each up to 50lbs for Platinum/Platinum Pro and couldn't someone on a divorced PNR use that as a predicate for free bags?
Using a receipt for 4 people when the elite is not among the 2 remaining people traveling seems to be something AA should not readily accept.
That would be similar to buying an AA ticket to use a lounge, when you are planning on refunding the ticket.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Using a receipt for 4 people when the elite is not among the 2 remaining people traveling seems to be something AA should not readily accept.
That would be similar to buying an AA ticket to use a lounge, when you are planning on refunding the ticket.
the OP is still traveling theyíre just splitting the record to improve upgrade chances. Iíve done this a few times before and have been able to get the agents in the priority line to waive just by friendly asking. But I also wasnít exceeding the allowance for myself so itís very possible they just checked them all on my PNR.
Old Sep 5, 19, 7:32 am

The main reason I separate a PNR is to get 2 people on an upgrade list, not because I'm not flying.
Old Sep 5, 19, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does, as you can see in the example I showed above, it's $0 for a domestic Y booking.
OK, it wasn't clear whether that was due to class of service or status. Weird that they would include the impact of elite status, because it's the status at the time of travel that determines the baggage allowance, not the time of purchase. If you lose status, I don't know whether showing them the receipt is going to get them to over-ride the check-in system (as it shouldn't...)
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
OK, it wasn't clear whether that was due to class of service or status. Weird that they would include the impact of elite status, because it's the status at the time of travel that determines the baggage allowance, not the time of purchase. If you lose status, I don't know whether showing them the receipt is going to get them to over-ride the check-in system (as it shouldn't...)
This is incorrect
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Complimentary bags

In some cases, you won't have to pay the fees for up to 3 bags. If you qualify for complimentary bags based on elite status, the benefits are based on your highest status level at time of ticketing or check-in.

If your status level is:
  • Higher at ticketing than at check-in, show your ticket receipt to the airport agent
  • Lower at ticketing than at check-in, current benefits will automatically apply
silverforumsurf and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The main reason I separate a PNR is to get 2 people on an upgrade list, not because I'm not flying.
I understand this. In general, I was saying AA should not be obligated to honor a free baggage receipt if the elite is no longer flying, not for this specific purpose of splitting the pnr.
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: MileagePlus,AAdvantage,Skymiles
request the upgrades after checking in the bags at the airport..downside would be lower placement on the upgrade list

Search this Thread