FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC FAs don't enforce 'carry-on bags must fit under the seat' rules
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:57 pm
WR Cage

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I agree, it is a safety issue. And if I had been at the window seat, I wouldn't have let it go. But to be perfectly honest, after not one but two FAs looked directly at the footrest before takeoff and said nothing, I would have had to start a confrontation with the aircraft already taxiing and the seatbelt light illuminated - and there's a good chance that would have ended with me kicked off the flight. It's not like they didn't see it. They saw it and judged it to be acceptable.

It's the cabin crew's job to enforce the rules. If they don't, I'm not starting a debate on the plane about it unless my own safety is at issue, because by questioning their judgement I'm opening the door for them to turn it around on me and say I'm the safety issue because I don't agree with them. And the repercussions that a single FA can levy against a passenger without any cause are immense - and permanent.

Yes, it's selfish. I'm not proud of it. But rationally, I can't come to any other conclusion besides: never disagree with Air Canada cabin crew unless it's a matter of imminent life safety.
To confirm, the OP had the aisle, the footrest user had the middle, and the window seat was occupied by another individual.

If the above is true, then only the window seat user can raise the safety issue, not the person in aisle seat.