FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is the Schiphol lounge worth visiting?
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:23 am
DeeGee26.2

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Is the Schiphol lounge worth visiting?

Hi folks,

I fly occasionally for fun, a few times a year but not enough for status with any airline. I do have a Gold Amex, though, and that gives me Lounge Club access.

I have only used it once, so far, at Sofia, because the lounge at that airport gave me access to something that I couldn't get anywhere else airside. I was the only person there.

So I've got two shiny new Lounge Club passes for this year, and my next flight is HUY - TXL via AMS.

I'm staying overnight at HUY, up too soon for breakfast, and I don't anticipate being in the airport long enough to use their lounge. I'm more than happy with the regular departure lounge at HUY anyway with it being such a tiny airport.

I've heard that the lounge at Tegel is rubbish.

So that leaves me opportunities to experience the lounges at Amsterdam during the transfer. I have a 2h10 transfer outward, and 2h40 on the return.

I'm guessing that a reasonable amount of this transfer time will be eaten into moving round the airport from non-Schengen to Schengen, and I have to be at the gates in a timely fashion. I also quite enjoy being in Schiphol airport.

However, I'm conscious that I might be a bit peckish by then, and might fancy a look at the Schengen Lounge on the way over. I'm also conscious that on the way back it's quite a long day, dinner time, and I might be tired, so I might fancy the non-Schengen lounge.

I'm not sure how likely I am to pay for lounge access in the future, but if I've tried it and had a good experience, I might try it again.

Is it worth my while giving the Aspire lounges at Schiphol a go, especially for maybe an hour? What's there likely to be to eat at either 9am or 6pm? Or, realistically, will I have a better time in the airport and saving my passes for another time?

Realistically, what do I get in the lounge that I don't get at the airport - especially as I quite enjoy being in the airport, outwards at least.