FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepping for 2020 Elite Status...moving away from West Coast
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:16 am
Toshbaf
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by splatkid10
I've been a pretty loyal flyer with Alaska the past couple years as it has been great at meeting my travel needs from the Bay Area to my mainly west coast destinations. However, in one month my family and I are moving out to Dallas and for the remainder of the year I will be traveling back to the west coast a fair amount for work so Alaska via DFW and DAL airports will continue to work well.

However, as I look into 2020, I don't expect to be flying to the west coast nearly as much and will likely be flying more around the mid-west and I was hoping to source opinions here on how to keep my elite level up and going into 2020 as I transition from AS to AA.
!
Life changes and airlines don't give you loyalty in return.

I see a problem re-qualifying for elite beyond December 2020. There are several solutions:
a. accept it. Enjoy it while it lasts.
b. go out of your way to re-qualify.

I've decided not to do choice b. Maybe it is possible to get a status match on another airline so that I'll be elite on that airline in 2021. However, more and more airlines are not status matching except for a very short period and you have to re-qualify, albeit for a few flights and over maybe 3 months or so, not the full year. I should look into which airlines do this, Southwest or Delta.