Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Prepping for 2020 Elite Status...moving away from West Coast

Prepping for 2020 Elite Status...moving away from West Coast

Old Sep 1, 19, 3:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SJC
Programs: AS - MVPG | HH - Gold
Posts: 46
Question Prepping for 2020 Elite Status...moving away from West Coast

I've been a pretty loyal flyer with Alaska the past couple years as it has been great at meeting my travel needs from the Bay Area to my mainly west coast destinations. However, in one month my family and I are moving out to Dallas and for the remainder of the year I will be traveling back to the west coast a fair amount for work so Alaska via DFW and DAL airports will continue to work well.

However, as I look into 2020, I don't expect to be flying to the west coast nearly as much and will likely be flying more around the mid-west and I was hoping to source opinions here on how to keep my elite level up and going into 2020 as I transition from AS to AA.

Few specific questions...
  1. Will obtaining Alaska 75K status offer me any advantage in a status challenge with AA? I realize I'll have to go after a challenge with AA to secure elite status with them in 2020, but will it "buy" me anything to be 75K vs just gold? I'm still after 75K status level regardless due to the 50k miles bonus, but does it help at all with the move to AA is what I'm curious about. I figure the extra flight distances will help me get to 75K faster as I move to Texas.
  2. Is there another avenue I'm not thinking about? I'm pretty sure I'll need to move to AA if I want to retain the Elite perks, but maybe I could stay with AS and I'm just not seeing something?
  3. How much am I going to miss flying AS? They've been quite good to me the last couple years and the rewards are awesome. I get upgraded as a Gold almost 9 times out of 10 flying them and delays are rarely an issue - just been a really enjoyable experience since I've been on the road a bit.

Thanks!
splatkid10 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 4:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 469
Originally Posted by splatkid10 View Post
How much am I going to miss flying AS?
If you switch to AA, you're going to miss AS a lot... You have to have 500-mile upgrades on longer routes and rarely get upgraded, even if you're an exec plat. Cancelations and delays are countless.

You can join the crowd in the AA forum, where every thread turns into calls for "Dougie" the CEO to resign.
jinglish and splatkid10 like this.
RAD_PDX is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 6:43 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: SFO/SJC,DAL/DFW
Programs: AS MVP, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by splatkid10 View Post
Is there another avenue I'm not thinking about? I'm pretty sure I'll need to move to AA if I want to retain the Elite perks, but maybe I could stay with AS and I'm just not seeing something?Thanks!
You could wait and see how quickly AS gets on the new booking system. Right now AS prices flights with a connection as A+B=C, but they (I believe) are switching to a new system that would price O/D, so it might not be ridiculously expensive to fly out of DAL, and connect thru SFO/LAX/PDX/SEA. But we'll have to wait and see on that one--and with AS, it could take decades. And thats not to even mention the craziness of the lawsuit around DAL right now.
I also wouldn't say you have to resign yourself to AA. Consider United and Delta, or hell even southwest, since AA is having so many problems right now.

Have flying from the DFW (doesn't function wet) area!
ItsAnAdam is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 2,021
75K won't get you squat, because AA challenges don't involve matching at all. Anyone can get Platinum for three months and the chance to maintain it if you hit the EQM and EQD thresholds, but you'll have to pay $400 for the privilege.
jinglish is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 11:46 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,940
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam View Post
Right now AS prices flights with a connection as A+B=C, but they (I believe) are switching to a new system that would price O/D, so it might not be ridiculously expensive to fly out of DAL, and connect thru SFO/LAX/PDX/SEA.
This is not true. Alaska prices many fares as through fares.

INVENTORY is what they do not do on an O/D basis.
Eastbay1K likes this.
channa is offline  
Old Sep 2, 19, 12:12 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,305
Have you considered Southwest? The AA "oasis" project is putting in slim seats with less pitch than Southwest so in flight you'd find better comfort and better service with southwest. If you get A-List you wouldn't have to spend money on the early bird check-in. But I won't ignore that if you are AA Platinum and up you get free "main cabin extra" seats at booking (the extra legroom). And Oneworld is a nice international network.
Gig103 is offline  
Old Sep 2, 19, 12:13 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SFO
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by channa View Post
This is not true. Alaska prices many fares as through fares.

INVENTORY is what they do not do on an O/D basis.
What do you mean by inventory? What's the difference? Thanks.
rtmf is offline  
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:21 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Yes
Posts: 820
Originally Posted by rtmf View Post


What do you mean by inventory? What's the difference? Thanks.
Fare bucket inventory. If there is 5 seats in X bucket for A-B and 4 in B-C, then there will be 4 in X bucket for A-C fares. But A-C fares are unique (it's not simply a combination of A-B and B-C fares). Other airlines, like DL, use married segment inventory. So they may only have 3 seats in X bucket available for A-C fares (it's generally more profitable to sell A-B and B-C on to different passengers separate X fares than one through X fares as they will generally charge more for the individual X fares than the single X through fare).
channa likes this.
xliioper is offline  
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:35 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,600
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Have you considered Southwest?
For short hops, WN is probably your best bet. Frequency, sane boarding (and until and unless you have A list, you can pay a bit more to pretty much insure an aisle/window), more pleasant crews overall than AA, and pretty much the same level of service as you'll get in AA Y. You also get DAL, which seems a lot more pleasant than DFW (but not sure from your post if it will be more convenient). WN also has a status match promo going on (just google Southwest Status Match).
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:15 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Programs: Alaska MVP/Gold
Posts: 650
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Fare bucket inventory. If there is 5 seats in X bucket for A-B and 4 in B-C, then there will be 4 in X bucket for A-C fares. But A-C fares are unique (it's not simply a combination of A-B and B-C fares). Other airlines, like DL, use married segment inventory. So they may only have 3 seats in X bucket available for A-C fares (it's generally more profitable to sell A-B and B-C on to different passengers separate X fares than one through X fares as they will generally charge more for the individual X fares than the single X through fare).
i donít mean to hijack the post, but Iíd love to know more about this. I travel PDX/PSP/PDX a lot, and from June through early October itís a hot mess (excuse the pun) and incredibly expensive through SEA or SFO. Itís way cheaper for me to go to ONT and rent a car and drive over, sometimes $350 cheaper each way. When I check the PDX/SEA/PSP or PDX/SFO/PSP fares and split out the individual legs itís pretty much always the same, so does not appear to have a ďthrough fareĒ. What is this change going to do? I also notice the same in season, where the non stop can be dirt cheap but via SEA or SFO very expensive, which when checking Is usually the same as the sum of the parts. Of course as a Gold I often book the least expensive of the route and do an SDC to the same route but better connections at T-24. As I say, love to know more about what if anything the new system will do to help.
Waitlisted is offline  
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:37 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,269
Originally Posted by Waitlisted View Post
i donít mean to hijack the post, but Iíd love to know more about this.
If you're moderately mathematically minded, here are a couple things I found when googling about the same comment:
An MIT open courseware lecture
A review paper with some history
chrisl137 is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 12:16 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PDX
Programs: AS DL
Posts: 2,398
Originally Posted by splatkid10 View Post
I've been a pretty loyal flyer with Alaska the past couple years as it has been great at meeting my travel needs from the Bay Area to my mainly west coast destinations. However, in one month my family and I are moving out to Dallas and for the remainder of the year I will be traveling back to the west coast a fair amount for work so Alaska via DFW and DAL airports will continue to work well.

However, as I look into 2020, I don't expect to be flying to the west coast nearly as much and will likely be flying more around the mid-west and I was hoping to source opinions here on how to keep my elite level up and going into 2020 as I transition from AS to AA.
!
Life changes and airlines don't give you loyalty in return.

I see a problem re-qualifying for elite beyond December 2020. There are several solutions:
a. accept it. Enjoy it while it lasts.
b. go out of your way to re-qualify.

I've decided not to do choice b. Maybe it is possible to get a status match on another airline so that I'll be elite on that airline in 2021. However, more and more airlines are not status matching except for a very short period and you have to re-qualify, albeit for a few flights and over maybe 3 months or so, not the full year. I should look into which airlines do this, Southwest or Delta.
Toshbaf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread