FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed complete Noob!
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:39 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brocks
Hoping to get some help with booking last minute First/Business award flights from New York to Southeast Asia (23 Nov to 4th Jan) for two people (our honeymoon trip). We're flexible on what airport we start our trip in (Singapore, Bangkok, Chang Mai etc) and I have miles across AMEX (300K), Chase (450K), BA (120K), Marriott (300K) but trying to find award availability on anything other than some of the lesser recommended airlines has been really tough. I've been accumulating these miles but have never really been able to figure out the best way to use them. Any advice on the the best way to go about this given where my miles are based?
Saturday 23 Nov 2019 is not far away for an award. Saturday 4 Jan 2020 will be a busy time for travel. Take note of date line - time zone changes. With awards you need to be very very flexible with dates & routes.

You may have more luck looking starting from USA/Canada west coast than NYC. More flights from west coast airports (LAX SFO SEA YVR). Chicago is another possible departure airport. Pay with money or miles to get to/from west coast from NYC if needed.

Other than BA, what ffp are you a member of now?
Across the pacific to Asia BA (Oneworld) is a partner on AA, CX, & JL
AA now has married award segments, making awards, with AA ff miles, far harder to get.

A very general guide--> https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=LAX&f...=0&c=j&s=2&p=1

As above, I would consider one of the paid award services---> Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 1, 2019 at 4:12 pm