FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First the Light Saber, now the Thermal Detonator!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:17 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am betting that more times than not the TSA will fail to notice and remove these items from checked-in luggage.

The ban of such items in checked luggage is yet more testimony to the TSA’s inability to readily identity a non-threat as a non-threat and an actual threat as a threat and how that leads to various ridiculous shenanigans in the name of “security” at airports near and far.
I do not understand the business about not allowing them in checked bags. If the bag is pulled and the item has been cleared, then there is absolutely zero reason to confiscate it. Doing so is just a perk of the job.

I'm also curious why the xray can't tell the difference between a bottle of perfume, a round can of soda pop, and a grenade.

And finally...if these cans had been painted to look like a peach and the caps slightly modified, would they still be subject to a complete ban? Or if they had been painted camo and labelled "Star Wars Jedi Survival Canteen"?