FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - YYZ-ICN, can't book direct with airline
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:48 am
Fiordland

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Scandinavian777
Hi all,

on the last saturday in Sept I need to go YYZ-ICN in business, and I have a feeling I can't book directly with the airline of my choice.
I think I may need to use an agent like expedia or some such site and go YYZ-SFO-ICN on a mixed Air Canada and Asiana (not codeshare with AC) ticket on a single PNR.
1. I am a European, not too well versed with the rules applying to aggregators and flts starting and ending ex-EU.
2. I hate to book via travel agents and get these mixed tickets.
3. But I do not have much choice. Really.

So,
a. what happens, what is my protection, if the leg YYZ-SFO goes pear-shaped and I miss my flight to ICN from SFO? Will they fix me a new ticket then and there, and who are "they"?
b. would you say 3hrs50mins layover in SFO allows ample time even if the AC flt is not exactly on time?

I am thinking such questions may have been answered numerous times on the forum, but I don't know how to search them up, the info I get via the search bar is patchy.

I know what you are thinking: Always book directly with the airline. I agree. And I really can't do so. Many thanks for any input.

Scandi.
Air Canada may chose to not make the routing your asking for available on the website. That does not mean its not available. There call center should be able to do this with no problem. The same with the Asiana call center. The travel agent you use at home in Europe should also be able to book the trip for you.

As others have said, what is important is keeping it on ticket. If it is one ticket and you miss a connection the airline is responsible for accommodating you on the next available flight.