YYZ-ICN, can't book direct with airline

Old Aug 27, 19, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Red face YYZ-ICN, can't book direct with airline

Hi all,

on the last saturday in Sept I need to go YYZ-ICN in business, and I have a feeling I can't book directly with the airline of my choice.
I think I may need to use an agent like expedia or some such site and go YYZ-SFO-ICN on a mixed Air Canada and Asiana (not codeshare with AC) ticket on a single PNR.
1. I am a European, not too well versed with the rules applying to aggregators and flts starting and ending ex-EU.
2. I hate to book via travel agents and get these mixed tickets.
3. But I do not have much choice. Really.

So,
a. what happens, what is my protection, if the leg YYZ-SFO goes pear-shaped and I miss my flight to ICN from SFO? Will they fix me a new ticket then and there, and who are "they"?
b. would you say 3hrs50mins layover in SFO allows ample time even if the AC flt is not exactly on time?

I am thinking such questions may have been answered numerous times on the forum, but I don't know how to search them up, the info I get via the search bar is patchy.

I know what you are thinking: Always book directly with the airline. I agree. And I really can't do so. Many thanks for any input.

Scandi.
Old Aug 27, 19, 1:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, UA*1K, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Scandinavian777 View Post
Hi all,

on the last saturday in Sept I need to go YYZ-ICN in business, and I have a feeling I can't book directly with the airline of my choice.
I think I may need to use an agent like expedia or some such site and go YYZ-SFO-ICN on a mixed Air Canada and Asiana (not codeshare with AC) ticket on a single PNR.
1. I am a European, not too well versed with the rules applying to aggregators and flts starting and ending ex-EU.

So,
a. what happens, what is my protection, if the leg YYZ-SFO goes pear-shaped and I miss my flight to ICN from SFO? Will they fix me a new ticket then and there, and who are "they"?
b. would you say 3hrs50mins layover in SFO allows ample time even if the AC flt is not exactly on time?

I am thinking such questions may have been answered numerous times on the forum, but I don't know how to search them up, the info I get via the search bar is patchy.

I know what you are thinking: Always book directly with the airline. I agree. And I really can't do so. Many thanks for any input.

Scandi.
Hi Scandi

Why can't you book directly with OZ ? When I went onto google flights and priced out your itinerary it gave me a phone number for Asiana. Looks simple enough....

The important thing about this is.... book 1 ticket. That way if AC is late, the burden of care is on them to get you to destination and/or overnight you.

I saw ~4hr or 2h30m layover choices. Your layover choice depends on how critical it is for you to travel to ICN on that particular flight. What is waiting for you when you get there?? If it matters that much, then take the 4hr layover, or take an even longer one. If you could handle being delayed a day, then take the shorter one. I think it will work out fine, but it's all about your risk tolerance.

Good luck!
Old Aug 27, 19, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Hi yyz_atc_qq,

thank you for the suggestions.
It isn't possible to book the itinerary via or from Asiana directly. Phoning them does not give an offering other than what you see on the website, and the website offers zero itineraries from YYZ to ICN that day. My dates are not flexible, unfortunately, due to the strignent work situation and contractual agreements. Am finishing work in Toronto that Friday, and have to be readyto work in Seoul the following Tuesday. That part is entirely outside my control.

Are you implying that if I book via expedia and AC is late and I miss the OZ flt at SFO then they (AC) still need to get me to ICN one way or another?
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:51 am

Programs: Altitude E35K
Hi all,

Why do you get this feeling? Is the direct not available or is it sold out?
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:52 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
On AIr Canada's website YYZ-ICN direct, or through YVR or through PEK, NRT etc.

As mentioned above, choose one airline so if things go wrong, they will (should) look after you
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:53 am

Programs: AC member, on route to P25K
Hi all,

So,

Scandi.
Always book one ticket, regardless of codeshare. You can call AC or OZ directly, and provided there is space in the booking fare of your choice, they'll book you on whatever AC/OZ flights you want. Or you can book on Expedia (showing 1740 EUR to me).

Your routing via SFO seems like a pretty good deal to me, it will be better for jetlag than flying direct (AC61), and it's 900 EUR cheaper than direct.

If you book separate tix and misconnect in SFO, the chances of you being compensated/rebooked for free are next to none. Airlines assume no responsibility for pax misconnection if it's not on one PNR. While 3h50 is enough, I don't see that combination on Google Flights. The only thing it's showing me is a bunch of 1-1.5 hour connections, a 2h20 connection and a 7h30 connection. It's only sensible to book the 2h20 one, or one of the direct flights from YYZ to ICN.

Good luck!
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Hi all,

So,

Scandi.
Air Canada may chose to not make the routing your asking for available on the website. That does not mean its not available. There call center should be able to do this with no problem. The same with the Asiana call center. The travel agent you use at home in Europe should also be able to book the trip for you.

As others have said, what is important is keeping it on ticket. If it is one ticket and you miss a connection the airline is responsible for accommodating you on the next available flight.
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:17 am

Last Saturday in September = September 28

@ AirCanada.com

Toronto to Seoul Saturday, September 28th, 2019
Total Duration 13 hours 45 minutes
13:35 Toronto (YYZ) to 16:20 Seoul (ICN) - + 1 Day
AC 061 Operated by Air Canada

$3834

What am I missing ?
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Hi yyz_atc_qq,

thank you for the suggestions.
It isn't possible to book the itinerary via or from Asiana directly. Phoning them does not give an offering other than what you see on the website, and the website offers zero itineraries from YYZ to ICN that day. My dates are not flexible, unfortunately, due to the strignent work situation and contractual agreements. Am finishing work in Toronto that Friday, and have to be readyto work in Seoul the following Tuesday. That part is entirely outside my control.

Are you implying that if I book via expedia and AC is late and I miss the OZ flt at SFO then they (AC) still need to get me to ICN one way or another?

There is zero difference on the day of travel whether you book with the airline or Expedia. ZERO.

If AC is late (and on this route it's a fair assumption), they will have to rebook you to the final destination regardless how you booked your ticket.
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:00 am

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by Virginia Emery View Post
What am I missing ?
That even though this thread is in the AC forum, the 'airline of choice' that is referenced in the OP isn't actually AC.
Virginia Emery likes this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 View Post
That even though this thread is in the AC forum, the 'airline of choice' that is referenced in the OP isn't actually AC.
So OP is asking non-AC question in AC forum, what am I missing ?
Old Aug 27, 19, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

due to credit card limits I cannot take the offerings with AC and OZ has nothing.
The itinerary via SFO is cheap-ish (like 2200 USD or so) with expedia or other companies. Yes, as I said from the start, this is on a single PNR. Going with AC's online offerings will increase cost drastically and I can't max out my cards. Not ideal but there you are.

If it is viable to call AC and have them do a booking on AC to SFO and then tack an OZ ticket onto the first flight then I can see if they willl do that at a price competitive to the aggregator's.

Thanks all.
Old Aug 27, 19, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Hi all,

due to credit card limits I cannot take the offerings with AC and OZ has nothing.
The itinerary via SFO is cheap-ish (like 2200 USD or so) with expedia or other companies. Yes, as I said from the start, this is on a single PNR. Going with AC's online offerings will increase cost drastically and I can't max out my cards. Not ideal but there you are.

If it is viable to call AC and have them do a booking on AC to SFO and then tack an OZ ticket onto the first flight then I can see if they willl do that at a price competitive to the aggregator's.

Thanks all.
Try phoning AC give them specific flight numbers your looking for and ask them for a price. AC can sell a ticket that includes both AC and OZ segments (even if not shown on their website).

If this is some special rate that Expedia may have obtained from some aggregator then your stuck with Expedia or another travel agent that has access to the same channel.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
It's not a special rate, but deep links to AC's site aren't working either.

If AC can't do it over the phone, just buy it on Expedia.
Old Aug 27, 19, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Just book with Expedia.
There really is no issue
canadiancow, monkai and dr_torch like this.

Search this Thread