FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flexi date fares
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:06 am
freemark

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I'm flying WLG-AKL later this week, booked on the last flight of the day and paid $108 for a flexidate 'P' class. I also had the same priced flight for the following morning, since cancelled with full refund.

My strategy is to make a free change at midnight to an earlier flight on the same day if the are seats available. If I needed to buy that fare today, the earlier flights are pricing out at $490 for a full Y fare, and EF tells me availability is low at around 1-5 seats at fully Y fares when I checked last. I can cope with staying on the currently booked flight if they all get sold.

I'd hate to be in a situation (non-compassionate) that required urgent travel at such price levels.....
So there is a trigger point in time (midnight) where an unsold seat next day goes from a valuable asset to a cheap empty seat. My strategy needs refining obviously but often buying fares fairly close to trips, and trying to get home as early as possible - but need the flexibility to stay away depending on site conditions etc. Not sure I’m dedicated enough to do that midnight thing though. I’ll have a go next week - not so much pressing need to maximise SP’s atm so can adjust strategy. Thanks all for info.