Wiki Posts
Search

Flexi date fares

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Flexi date fares

Had a Flexi date fare last week returning to Welly from Auks, booked for Friday evening. On Thurs AM tried to change it for either Thurs evening or Fri morning - big costs which surprised me. Looked again Fri am and the flights that had a $150 or more change fee (for Fri) had then “no charge”
Best strategy to book earlier then change for later, or clear cookies/change browser/not change via Airpoints app?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:52 am

Flexi date allows you to change flight ahead of time with only gate difference and no change fee.

On the day of flight flexi date and flexi time you can change the time on that day for the flight.

Flexi date does not let you change the date for free. The naming does help the understanding of what the product offers.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As already mentioned Flexidate does not let you change the date for free. The name change of the product to Flexidate last year was IMHO an incredibly poor move that did nothing but create confusion.

You need to pay the fare difference between the fare you paid and the fare you're looking to change to. Depending on how much you paid for the fare in the first place you may find that you can find a flight on that day that does allow you to change for free, and then on the day you can then change for free to any flight on that day free of charge.

If you need flexibility of dates you should be purchasing multiple Flexidate fares for the dates you may want to travel and then cancelling the ones you don't need before the check-in time of that flight for a full refund.

Changing browser / deleting cookies won't do anything as Air NZ don't (yet) do dynamic pricing. Remember the price of domestic fares can easily change up to 4-5 times over the course of a day. It's not uncommon for me to end up booking several tickets for next day travel as prices change and then ringing up to cancel the more expensive ones that day for the refund.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Yeah, was a bit of a shock. When I was frequently WLG -CHC I never encountered a fare change. Not sure I have the time or energy to be booking multiple fares only to call & cancel most of them - one of the things I like about NZ is being able to do everything on or via App. Despite the claims I’m still slightly suspicious regarding tracking and targeting fares..
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:56 am

The only reason you would have never encountered a fare change previously would have been if you were booking high priced fares meaning that there was always a fare of the same booking class or lower available. If you book multiple Flexidate fares you can cancel them via the app in a few seconds.

I still struggle with the renaming of the product because the main benefit of the fare is that it can be cancelled for a full refund, not the fact you can change the date and give them more money...
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:58 am
Original Poster

BTW this was not a cheap fare purchased - $580 or so return, seat + bag only on the WLG-AKL leg so as I recall over $300 for flight in question.

Last edited by freemark; Aug 27, 2019 at 1:58 am Reason: Accuracy
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:11 am
Original Poster

I’m always far too generous with my oft-requested feedback. What we should be pushing for is Flexi time or date fares without having to buy a checked bag. Revenue management I guess- NZ probably creams $1000’s per day (or per flight) from this.
Beano likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I'm flying WLG-AKL later this week, booked on the last flight of the day and paid $108 for a flexidate 'P' class. I also had the same priced flight for the following morning, since cancelled with full refund.

My strategy is to make a free change at midnight to an earlier flight on the same day if the are seats available. If I needed to buy that fare today, the earlier flights are pricing out at $490 for a full Y fare, and EF tells me availability is low at around 1-5 seats at fully Y fares when I checked last. I can cope with staying on the currently booked flight if they all get sold.

I'd hate to be in a situation (non-compassionate) that required urgent travel at such price levels.....
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I'm flying WLG-AKL later this week, booked on the last flight of the day and paid $108 for a flexidate 'P' class. I also had the same priced flight for the following morning, since cancelled with full refund.

My strategy is to make a free change at midnight to an earlier flight on the same day if the are seats available. If I needed to buy that fare today, the earlier flights are pricing out at $490 for a full Y fare, and EF tells me availability is low at around 1-5 seats at fully Y fares when I checked last. I can cope with staying on the currently booked flight if they all get sold.

I'd hate to be in a situation (non-compassionate) that required urgent travel at such price levels.....
So there is a trigger point in time (midnight) where an unsold seat next day goes from a valuable asset to a cheap empty seat. My strategy needs refining obviously but often buying fares fairly close to trips, and trying to get home as early as possible - but need the flexibility to stay away depending on site conditions etc. Not sure I’m dedicated enough to do that midnight thing though. I’ll have a go next week - not so much pressing need to maximise SP’s atm so can adjust strategy. Thanks all for info.
Beano likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by freemark

So there is a trigger point in time (midnight) where an unsold seat next day goes from a valuable asset to a cheap empty seat. My strategy needs refining obviously but often buying fares fairly close to trips, and trying to get home as early as possible - but need the flexibility to stay away depending on site conditions etc. Not sure I’m dedicated enough to do that midnight thing though. I’ll have a go next week - not so much pressing need to maximise SP’s atm so can adjust strategy. Thanks all for info.
The seat remains an expensive seat to anyone buying it on the day. The FlexiDate/FlexiTime fare allow a 'free' change on the day of travel - so in effect I am exchanging my lower price seat on (say) a later flight for an expensive seat on an earlier flight. Of course NZ gets to sell my just-freed-up seat on the later flight for whatever price their fare class availability is at. And a risk for me is that there may be no earlier flight for me to change to - an important factor to consider.

In buying a Flexidate fare I am paying a small 'premium' ($60 over a Seat fare) to cover being able cancel with a full refund, and for the 'free' change on the day of travel.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by freemark

Its become a rather depressing routine for me setting my alarm for midnight (i actually have one saved on my phone for this!!!). Most of the the time the strategy works if you can be bothered with the inconvenience of the alarm (and annoying your partner with it!).

Ive been caught out on the WEL-AKL with seats not being available but its always worked for me on CHC-AKL-CHC
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Its become a rather depressing routine for me setting my alarm for midnight (i actually have one saved on my phone for this!!!). Most of the the time the strategy works if you can be bothered with the inconvenience of the alarm (and annoying your partner with it!).

Ive been caught out on the WEL-AKL with seats not being available but its always worked for me on CHC-AKL-CHC
Yeah I have had hit and miss with peak flights. Normally ok if moving to an fight home day before 1600 or after 1900.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
My solution is quite simple. If I am booking domestic I book and pay for the time and date I want, always flexible, and that way if I need to change because of a change in plans I can do it. I can't be bothered with the stress and hassle of booking times that don't suit then trying to change.

I agree with sbiddle that the Flexidate option is badly named, because the date is seldom flexible without paying lots to change.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Suggested name for flexi fares

Flexi Time (non cancelable)
Flexi Time (cancelable )
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:49 am

The old product names were perfect. Flexitime & Flexiplus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.