FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which aluminum carry-on?
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:44 pm
Passportinonehand

Originally Posted by billycwhatup
As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, Away bags (including the aluminum) are good as long as you know what you’re getting. They have done a fabulous job of marketing what is otherwise a pretty ordinary product. Their customer service is solid and the bag itself is good, not great. The issue is that the construction is decidedly second tier - particularly the wheels and the retractable handle. My issue is that the handle is flimsy - way too flimsy to easy maneuver if a briefcase is on top of it. I did around 150K with an Away bigger carry on and finally abandoned it for a Rimowa. Away is obviously much much less expensive and if you don’t travel that much, it’s a perfectly good solution. However, if you’re a road warrior, I suspect that you’ll grow tired of dealing with the wheels and overall solidness issues on carpet and city streets.
Thanks for the great insight! Haven't tested the Away suitcase out yet, nor the Rimowa or other higher-priced carry-ons, as I never put a briefcase on top of my carry-on so I don't really need the extra sturdiness. My suitcases are all in the medium-priced range (Lojel, Away, higher-end Samsonite). To be honest I always thought more expensive suitcases were just for looks and status but good to know some actually are better!