Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Which aluminum carry-on?

Which aluminum carry-on?

Old Aug 22, 19, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Which aluminum carry-on?

I know this has been discussed somewhat before but I am torn between Rimowa Original cabin (what was Topas) and Tumi 19 continental carry on.

Do about 100K a year, mostly on AA transatlantic then cross Europe via British Airways.

Especially interested in thoughts on Rimowa new line up side LVMH acquired them and also started manufacturing in Canada.

Opinions welcome.
Old Aug 23, 19, 1:26 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have the original Topas two-wheeler, the best ever.

The four-wheeler spinner is an abomination already, the new LVMH version(s) are just shiny things with dumbed down functionality (e.g lack of the retractable strap on top - one of my favourite details)
Old Aug 23, 19, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
I have the original Topas two-wheeler, the best ever.

The four-wheeler spinner is an abomination already, the new LVMH version(s) are just shiny things with dumbed down functionality (e.g lack of the retractable strap on top - one of my favourite details)
I have not ever one time used that add a bag feature even if all my Rimowa but one have the feature.
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:58 am

The sturdiness of the retractable handle eliminates the need for an “add a bag” attachment. I simply slide my briefcase or backpack on top my of Original and it moves flawlessly. The add a bag mechanism was clearly criticized (either for effectiveness or overall utilization) and it was scrapped after a relatively short period.

I travel 200k+ and am thrilled with my Cabin Plus.
mushy, bulbmogul and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by billycwhatup View Post
The sturdiness of the retractable handle eliminates the need for an ďadd a bagĒ attachment. I simply slide my briefcase or backpack on top my of Original and it moves flawlessly. The add a bag mechanism was clearly criticized (either for effectiveness or overall utilization) and it was scrapped after a relatively short period.

I travel 200k+ and am thrilled with my Cabin Plus.
BINGO..Eacatly same method here ....!

Old Aug 24, 19, 7:02 pm

Have you ever considered the Away Aluminium Edition carry-on? Don't have it myself, but received 2 of their big aluminium suitcases today and they look very good.
The carry-on also has a nice ejectable battery that can charge your phone up to 5 times and I think it has a lifetime guarantee!

Oh, and it's probably less than half the price of a Rimowa :-).

Old Aug 25, 19, 7:01 am

As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, Away bags (including the aluminum) are good as long as you know what you’re getting. They have done a fabulous job of marketing what is otherwise a pretty ordinary product. Their customer service is solid and the bag itself is good, not great. The issue is that the construction is decidedly second tier - particularly the wheels and the retractable handle. My issue is that the handle is flimsy - way too flimsy to easy maneuver if a briefcase is on top of it. I did around 150K with an Away bigger carry on and finally abandoned it for a Rimowa. Away is obviously much much less expensive and if you don’t travel that much, it’s a perfectly good solution. However, if you’re a road warrior, I suspect that you’ll grow tired of dealing with the wheels and overall solidness issues on carpet and city streets.
bulbmogul and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 7:29 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Re - "add a bag". Admittedly I mostly use to attach the rollaboard to the main luggage when travelling with lots of luggage (the handle is taken up by a briefcase, tout, etc), so this feature on the rollaboard is not so essential, but handy. I still curse myself for going cheap with one medium sized (can't remember the type, the one with the leather handle and no middle latch and no add-a-bag) - and it's a four wheeler, so it stays mainly in the cupboard.
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by billycwhatup View Post
As Iíve mentioned in previous posts, Away bags (including the aluminum) are good as long as you know what youíre getting. They have done a fabulous job of marketing what is otherwise a pretty ordinary product. Their customer service is solid and the bag itself is good, not great. The issue is that the construction is decidedly second tier - particularly the wheels and the retractable handle. My issue is that the handle is flimsy - way too flimsy to easy maneuver if a briefcase is on top of it. I did around 150K with an Away bigger carry on and finally abandoned it for a Rimowa. Away is obviously much much less expensive and if you donít travel that much, itís a perfectly good solution. However, if youíre a road warrior, I suspect that youíll grow tired of dealing with the wheels and overall solidness issues on carpet and city streets.
Thanks for the great insight! Haven't tested the Away suitcase out yet, nor the Rimowa or other higher-priced carry-ons, as I never put a briefcase on top of my carry-on so I don't really need the extra sturdiness. My suitcases are all in the medium-priced range (Lojel, Away, higher-end Samsonite). To be honest I always thought more expensive suitcases were just for looks and status but good to know some actually are better!
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

So anyone have experience of tumi 19 aluminum?
Old Aug 30, 19, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
We have a LVMH era Rimowa Cabin and find it to be comparable to the old products, with the exception of a new velcro system for the dividers that is inferior to the old system
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Iíve ordered a Rimowa original cabin. It is perhaps a form over function decision. Thanks for the input...
Old Sep 4, 19, 8:34 am

Programs: AA
Look into the Aleon line. They are a bit squarer in design, meaning they give you a little more space for the given dimensions. They make a 21" that has a 70/30 split, too.
Old Sep 6, 19, 5:34 pm

I don't understand everyone lamenting the loss of the add a bag thing on Rimowa bags. I never liked it, found it clumsy, never attached well, and with a 4 wheel design it was completely unnecessary. I just bought my third Rimowa carryon, first two are the Topas and just bought an original in the Cabin S size. With the addition of a personal item, I can carry a week's worth of clothes in the Cabin S bag, and I can do two weeks in my Cabin L bag.

My personal item sits nicely on top of my bag and attaches to the retractable handle and have literally never used the add a bag thing.

Additionally if you really want a Topas with the add-a-bag, go on eBay and there are tons available from brand new at or below retail to ones that have been used once or twice that are several hundred below US retail. If you can swing it while traveling, buy one in Europe. They're considerably less expensive there.

I picked up my first one retail while on vacation. Other two I've purchased have been pristine bags from eBay for $350-$500 less than retail.

Final note, Mr Clean magic eraser works MAGIC on the body and trim of your Rimowa aluminum bags. It can get minor scuffs and scrapes to disappear.
Adelphos and bulbmogul like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: