View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 19, 2:40 pm
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by simby View Post
Rimowa is known for its aluminium cases. It does not make sense to pay the Rimowa brand premium for their polycarbonate cases.
Thanks for this, and all of the above comments.

Thus far, we've only got a ~22" Rimowa that was part of the swag DH got at a conference. It's the poly type, but we only carry it on. One important thing he noticed was that the wheels worked very well, and it's by far the easiest to wheel, and this matters, at least for us.
I've got a similar sized B&R that is also only carry on.

The poly has *always* felt very cheap and vulnerable to me. I'm not that strong, and if *I* can "bend it", and so easily, then...?
Clearly from the comments above, it doesn't bend indefinitely without breaking, no surprise.
If we want another, we'll look at the aluminum.

For checked luggage, we've got a few sizes of the Tumi fold-overs, and thus far, they've been terrific, as have some smaller pieces. We've had an occasional problem, and Tumi fixed it free. One time they had to send one out, they asked if we needed a loaner, and gave us one.
No charge for any of this.
These have held up much better than we would have expected.

We've also each got a smaller Tumi carry-on that slips over the handle of a larger piece, but it rolls "sideways", and that's too wide to get down narrow airplane aisles. (Hmmm... now that we are traveling on awards and flying in the pointy end, that shouldn't be a problem... except when we have a leg on a smaller plane. If ONLY we could switch the directions of those wheels; the size is perfect for that function, and we can't find anything similarly "medium large" that could be a carry on and slip over a handle. Suggestions welcome. I'll start another thread later.)

Thanks.

As far as the "someone else walking off with it" problem, we try to keep relatively obnoxious tape, and rather tattered on purpose, so we can spot it on the carousel... OR if it is walking away...!
And around the handle, we have day-glow velcro'd covers that not only are very noticeable visually, but one can *feel* it immediately.
So that should help, at least with the innocent "mistakes".
I wish they still checked baggage tags at the exit, but that's not going to happen. I remain surprised that more bags don't "walk", actually.

Sometimes I sort of miss the old hard-sided, sturdy, simple American Touristers, which took such beatings for many years.

GC