FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:52 am
Israshot

Originally Posted by beefninja
I have a reservation in March 2020, and currently it's in a 2-queen bed Beach Villa (which is the only thing that was available on points).

I emailed asked for the upgrade cost to a King Reef Villa. Per reading the wiki and the thread, I figured that the upgrade cost would be $200 per night. The hotel just got back to me and let me know that they could switch us with no upgrade fee, which I found quite surprising.

For dates near my date (on which I can find any Beach Villa availability), the beach villas seem to be more expensive than reef villas. However, that seems to almost be a pricing quirk, as the Beach Villa room is clearly smaller and their original pricing had the beach villas being the cheapest rooms (there was originally a clear pricing hierarchy with $200 differences to go to Reef or $200 further to go to Overwater), which is why award stays booked into them since they were their most basic room.

For dates near my date, the a BV is $2630, a RV is $1930 (which is I guess why they're offering me no upgrade fee?), and an OV is $2430. Should I accept the free RV upgrade, or am I missing something? And should I try seeing if the upgrade to a OV is potentially free?
When I saw your post I decided to email them (my stay is in February). This is what they answered:
"Please be informed that for next year we have changed our villa category. Kindly note that the Reef Villa will be our based category next will be the Overwater Villa and the Beach Villa.

Basically the Beach Villa will be a higher category compared to reef Villa and Overwater Villa.

If you need any further assistance please do let us know."

I can't see any reason they are doing this, why they structure their prices in such a manner? Anyone that stayed in the OWV or RV saw any downside to stay there?

Last edited by Israshot; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:05 am