FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:14 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by docbert
SIN and ICN have non-stop flights to the US. As do SYD, MEL, KIX, HND, CTU, and TPE, plus GUM if you consider that TPAC.

Nobody is suggesting he was bumped at check-in 23 hours before the flight.

The distinction that's being discussed is whether the bump occurred at the check-in counter, by a check-in agent, or at the gate by a gate agent.

If if you want to talk Telephone, the OP's post doesn't explicitly state that he was bumped when checking in his luggage (at the check-in counter by the check-in agent) like you're claiming. It states that's when he was told the flight was oversold, but not necessarily that the bump occurred then. Thus the confusion.

The two SIN flights are ~12 hours apart, so that wouldn't be relevant today (might have been back when they were doing 1 to SFO and 1 to LAX, but now they are both SFO). The SYD flights are an hour or so apart, and the NRT departures are also close together.
Sorry that my post wasn't clear, but by "I don't think so" I was referring to having enough departing UA flights so that the check in area would be open continuously and the OP's young relative would be able check bags at T-4. I know UA has nonstop TPAC flights from ICN, SIN, HND (although the post I quoted specifically mentioned NRT and I'm not sure how many UA flights are still at NRT versus daytime--and in this case morning--slots from HND) and also SYD and MEL.