FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gifts for Conrad Concierge Manager?
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:07 pm
zombietooth

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by arlflyer
If this is the Conrad Tokyo, which I am guessing it is based on the room type mentioned ("King Executive Bay View Suite") and price, then please note that gifting in Japan is a very big and very regimented deal, on which I do not claim to be an expert, but you would well-advised to note this so that the responses can be tailored appropriately. First and foremost, DO NOT give cash.
I give gifts all of the time to hotel staff in Tokyo. However, I am careful not to ask for any favors. Usually, the gifts are personalized and express gratitude for outstanding service, etc. American whiskey is very popular but not appropriate for women. My problem is that I always get tons of gifts in return during my stays, usually of the edible variety, which I then either have to eat or share. I usually end-up sharing my gifts with my fellow gaijin business associates and re-gifting things that I loathe, e.g. sweet bean confections, to my Japanese staff or friends outside of the hotel organization.