Gifts for Conrad Concierge Manager?

Old Aug 13, 19, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Gifts for Conrad Concierge Manager?

Met this guy at my first stay at a Conrad property in Asia. He upgraded us to a King Executive Bay View Suite on basis of my Diamond membership.

The next year I only had gold, but we had exchanged emails and I contacted him several months ahead of time subtly asking if he would be able to arrange a similar room for us and he came through with a Bay View Suite again. This is a 5* property in one of the most expensive metros in the world, basic rooms at this property fetching $600~ a night and suites over $1,200.

He did so for a short one night stopover I had in the city last Christmas and had wanted to get him a cake or something as a genuine token of appreciation, but didn't have the time to and left a box of confectioneries that I had picked up as a souvenir on previous legs of my trip. In retrospect I feel embarrassed because it's such a bad look.

I'm about to order a cake from a famous shop to be delivered to him by courier...but was curious what kind of gifts others have given for relationships developed with managers at favorite properties.
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:07 pm

Usually the adult beverage variety.
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:16 pm

gift him a DESI DHARU
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
If you're going to stray into areas where tips merge into out-and-out graft, you might as well step up to the plate.

Cakes really don't wash it. Cash, is king: premium whisky a close second.

Not being holier than thou: but i'd prefer to stay in the room I've paid for, or the one fortune takes me too, than get into all that.
ceebee100, flyme2, tynmar and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 6:01 am

If this is the Conrad Tokyo, which I am guessing it is based on the room type mentioned ("King Executive Bay View Suite") and price, then please note that gifting in Japan is a very big and very regimented deal, on which I do not claim to be an expert, but you would well-advised to note this so that the responses can be tailored appropriately. First and foremost, DO NOT give cash.
Old Aug 16, 19, 10:27 am

Programs: Peasant at large
A bottle of fine booze (whisky is common, wine works too) is a nice gift but I do recommend adding a box of chocolates or fruit basket that he can share with his staff. On top of that, a formal letter to the hotel GM citing excellent service without calling out the specifics is also helpful.

And as arlflyer indicated, please do not give cash. This is not the bellhop or doorman so the usual handshake tip is probably not appropriate. Large amounts sent independently risks getting him in trouble and/or make him feel uncomfortable, even insulted (what if he really was just being a great employee taking care of Diamonds with the unsold premium product?).
Old Aug 17, 19, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
If this is the Conrad Tokyo, which I am guessing it is based on the room type mentioned ("King Executive Bay View Suite") and price, then please note that gifting in Japan is a very big and very regimented deal, on which I do not claim to be an expert, but you would well-advised to note this so that the responses can be tailored appropriately. First and foremost, DO NOT give cash.
I give gifts all of the time to hotel staff in Tokyo. However, I am careful not to ask for any favors. Usually, the gifts are personalized and express gratitude for outstanding service, etc. American whiskey is very popular but not appropriate for women. My problem is that I always get tons of gifts in return during my stays, usually of the edible variety, which I then either have to eat or share. I usually end-up sharing my gifts with my fellow gaijin business associates and re-gifting things that I loathe, e.g. sweet bean confections, to my Japanese staff or friends outside of the hotel organization.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 2:14 am

I can't speak to cultures outside the United States. I can't even speak for all hotels in the United States. But, I did work at a very AAA Four Diamond luxury hotel run by a very conservative (demeanor not politics) General Manager. We had rules about everything so as to keep things egalitarian for all guests and employees.

In terms of gifts, everything had to be reported. Managers kept nothing in order to avoid even the appearance of quid pro quo/graft/fraud. All gifts of food and beverage were discarded unless the guest was a very frequent guest. (At that hotel, a very frequent guest was someone staying more than 100 nights annually. That was 100 nights at our hotel, not the chain.)

That said, not all hotels are so regimented.

Search this Thread