FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:25 am
Vangrovsky

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

I've been speaking with my young nephew this morning. He's a young 20-year-old kid on his very first TPAC flight. It also happens to be his very first United flight. Although he is a seasoned flyer on Delta and American on TATL flights since he was 15.(flying TATL 3 times a year since his parents got divorced)

UA bumped him off because of overbooking. He even has the agent saying so on video. He checked in on-time. (again, the video shows that the agent confirming that he was one of the first few people to check-in for that TPAC flight) He checked in online the night before.(at T-23) He went up to the counter to check his luggage almost 4 hours before the flight time. That's when the agent informed him that the flight was overbooked.

I get the feeling that the two UA agents were trying to cheat him out of what he deserved for being bumped off the flight involuntarily. One of the kept saying "we're doing this just for you because we don't usually rebook people here and we just make them call reservation for rebooking" and also "no need to thank us, but we got you your preferred window seat for the same flight tomorrow." Here's the icing on the cake the more senior agent said "we can get you a discount voucher if you need a hotel room for tonight" (he didn't because he ended up staying with his friend who lived just 20 minutes from the airport)

I asked him to forward me his travel details, including the e-ticket email. The reservation was booked on United.com. It shows confirmed seats in economy class with K fare.

He's a young, dumb(sorry, true) and non-confrontational college kid. He basically just accepted what the two UA agents said and left the airport.

When he told me everything and showed me the me videos, my blood started boiling.... Or am I wrong? I assume it's not okay to post the four videos of his counter with the UA agents? (since all videos clearly showed their faces and one showed their employee ID card)