FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overhead bin usage on A319
View Single Post
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:42 am
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ekwang
Currently en route to GVA from PDX via EWR. Seated in 2 E on an A319. Taking my 75 L pack for a five day trip in Chamonix. Both a petite woman and FA made comment of the size my backpack in the overhead bin, as I had to place it lengthwise (rather than the wheels first position if I were using a duffel or carry-on luggage piece). I felt like I was being made to feel guilty, but frankly I paid good money for my Z class ticket. I mean, the GA didn’t stop me and tell me to check it, so why should I feel bad, right? Or am I wrong? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I am astounded by how large many of the carryon items with wheels are - in fact I look at them and wonder how they fit the sizer.

Why another pax felt the need to comment is beyond me. I just mind my own business.

Was the FA questioning how the backpack fitted in the sizer or the shape of the backpack? As far as I am aware there is no requirement that a carryon be a particular shape just it needs to fit within the sizer. People often bring on long poles, paddles, telescopic tubes, etc. that definitely do not fit inside the sizer and place them in the overhead and complain when others put their bags in the overhead.

I hike in Eyrope over the summer and often attach my hiking boots to the bottom of my day pack as I want to ensure I have my boots with me - they may be an unsightly item but my comfort for my planned activity is more important than how someone feels about seeing a pair of boots in the overhead. The daypack and boots meet the sizer requirement (together).

As long as the backpack fits in the sizer then just smile and ignore the comments.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Aug 15, 2019 at 9:03 am