FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overhead bin usage on A319
View Single Post
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:36 am
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ekwang
Currently en route to GVA from PDX via EWR. Seated in 2 E on an A319. Taking my 75 L pack for a five day trip in Chamonix. Both a petite woman and FA made comment of the size my backpack in the overhead bin, as I had to place it lengthwise (rather than the wheels first position if I were using a duffel or carry-on luggage piece). I felt like I was being made to feel guilty, but frankly I paid good money for my Z class ticket. I mean, the GA didn’t stop me and tell me to check it, so why should I feel bad, right? Or am I wrong? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If the bag actually conforms to UA’s carry on measurements, you shouldn’t feel guilty. If it doesn’t conform, but FA or GA doesn’t say anything about it, you are still ignoring the rules and taking more space than you are entitled to, and should feel a little guilty.

When you check in, at a kiosk, online, or via app, you are presented with dimensions. There is no asterisk saying “people who buy Z fares can ignore this”. Some travelers decide they are beyond restrictions.

I saw a three-pack of BE travelers caught by a GA towards the end of boarding at HNL. Two of them had small roll-aboards that didn’t fit into the “small item” fitter. They claimed they bought them specifically because they thought they would fit under a seat. GA told them the measurements are provided at check-in and their bags didn’t conform. I went ahead and boarded, so I don’t know what the outcome was.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 15, 2019 at 8:47 am