FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Get ready for some screams in First
View Single Post
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:44 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
By coincidence I was reading the Encyclopedia Britannica's entry on Virtual Reality in their 2017 Book of the Year (RIP) the other day, and the overwhelming (ha) problem that VR manufacturers have is the more realistic they are, the more nauseous they become. The article pointed out that no one gets sick playing Pokémon GO, as it's a low tech version of VR, and yet arguably the most successful.
yes it increases with realism (nowadays most are ultra realistic) and the situations they propose (often virtual reality is done to do precisely things you wouldn’t do in real life such as walking on a tiny bridge between two high rise buildings or exploring claustrophobic settings). By contrast, I don’t know anyone who’s been sick using virtual reality to ‘visit’ their next apartment currently being built at some posh estate agents. That’s why I was suggesting that I hope they choose well as basically ‘boring’ is less likely to lead to sick whilst exciting may be hard to handle for many...