Get ready for some screams in First

Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Get ready for some screams in First

British Airways customers will be transported to their own 3D cinema in the skies as the airline exclusively trials a new virtual reality headset in a UK first.

https://www.air101.co.uk/2019/08/bri.../fMxO+(Air101)
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
What a brilliant idea. Perhaps this is the thing that will enable First to survive in an area of CW Suites. :-).
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Available on selected BA117 flights from LHR-JFK which is the early flight.
stewaran likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Having tried virtual reality a few times for professional purposes, many situations can be disorientating or even nauseating. I really hope they pick carefully or its one of those good ideas on paper that might prove quite counter productive
trooper, squawk, davm666 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Having tried virtual reality a few times for professional purposes, many situations can be disorientating or even nauseating. I really hope they pick carefully or its one of those good ideas on paper that might prove quite counter productive
This was the first thing that came to my mind, it can be bad enough when the ground is stationary but add in the motion of a plane on top and it could be quite unpleasant!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC
And the first programmes are the box set of Aircrash Investigation
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
By coincidence I was reading the Encyclopedia Britannica's entry on Virtual Reality in their 2017 Book of the Year (RIP) the other day, and the overwhelming (ha) problem that VR manufacturers have is the more realistic they are, the more nauseous they become. The article pointed out that no one gets sick playing Pokmon GO, as it's a low tech version of VR, and yet arguably the most successful.
squawk and orbitmic like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ha - went to view some CGI in a cockpit scenario laboratory at Farnborough some years ago. We stood on this static cut-down flight deck looking out of the very realistic 'windows' as the 'aircraft' got airborne and started some gentle manoeuvring. One of my colleagues lasted about 20 seconds before having to leave the room!

Having the visual cues without the associated motion cues in the inner ear (cochlea?) can be very disconcerting.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
By coincidence I was reading the Encyclopedia Britannica's entry on Virtual Reality in their 2017 Book of the Year (RIP) the other day, and the overwhelming (ha) problem that VR manufacturers have is the more realistic they are, the more nauseous they become. The article pointed out that no one gets sick playing Pokmon GO, as it's a low tech version of VR, and yet arguably the most successful.
yes it increases with realism (nowadays most are ultra realistic) and the situations they propose (often virtual reality is done to do precisely things you wouldnt do in real life such as walking on a tiny bridge between two high rise buildings or exploring claustrophobic settings). By contrast, I dont know anyone whos been sick using virtual reality to visit their next apartment currently being built at some posh estate agents. Thats why I was suggesting that I hope they choose well as basically boring is less likely to lead to sick whilst exciting may be hard to handle for many...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ha! I thought this was going to be the usual complaints about kids in F. I was going to say smugly that my kids are currently seated in 5E/F on BA283 (LAX) and are plugged into the iFE not bothering anyone. But its not about that at all....
mradey likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
This sounds like a recipe for disaster. I can see some passengers asking for the sick bag. Which is fine ss long as they have plenty.

Reminds me of the old joke:
Passenger to cabin crew: May I have a sick bag?
Cabin crew reply: I'm sorry sir we've run out, Would you like some olives?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:24 am

Qantas, reportedly, trialled this a few years ago.
Don't know what became of it.

​​​​​​Qantas first-class passengers to get virtual reality headsets
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
Perhaps they'll use the technology to make BA F seem like CX or EK.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:42 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
Ha - went to view some CGI in a cockpit scenario laboratory at Farnborough some years ago. We stood on this static cut-down flight deck looking out of the very realistic 'windows' as the 'aircraft' got airborne and started some gentle manoeuvring. One of my colleagues lasted about 20 seconds before having to leave the room!

Having the visual cues without the associated motion cues in the inner ear (cochlea?) can be very disconcerting.
Don't the latest fighter jets have vr in the helmet so the pilot can see through the body of the plane?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Tried a VR flight simulator at WAW Renaissance Hotel a couple of months ago - the whole audio visual experience. What surprised me was the very real-feeling 'jolt' when I came to a stop on a (pretty abysmal!) landing. The idea of using one whilst on a flight does not appeal...!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.