FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MAX fleet plans update [New type; IFE screens!]
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:47 am
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
A part of me wonders if UA is doing/considering this to make the MAX more appealing because of the grounding issues (the tell tale would be if it is just limited to the MAX planes)
I believe the work was underway to add screens/USB power for the MAX 10 before the grounding hit.

There are some lesser updates coming to the Airbus fleet vis a vis power outlets as part of the retrofits, but not screens. But the MAXen are going to be around much longer than the used Airbus planes joining now. That sort of investment probably doesn't make as much sense given route profiles and expected longevity of that fleet.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Not just premium transcon as the article states but perhaps getting them more suited for eventual TATL use as well?
Range on the MAX 10 makes it less than ideal for TATL, especially with a proper premium cabin added. I'd be surprised if that happened broadly.

Instead I expect 788s (akin to AA's plan) or maybe eventually the NMA if that ever happens. But the 752s and 763s will need replacing well before the NMA is ready to go.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 14, 2019 at 10:35 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member