FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cabotage if one leg on Delta??
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:03 am
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think issue is short time in ICN, as under 24hrs is normally considered a connection. Thus on the face it appears that you are flying LAX-SFO via ICN.

LAX-ICN-LAX in no way is a connection. It's simply a RT from LAX-ICN and back. Nothing illegal there.
​​​Yes. This is my point. I was responding to another poster who tried to imply LAX-ICN-SFO was not cabotage. LAX-ICN-LAX is bookable because a round-trip is fine, LAX-ICN-SFO is not bookable because - despite the obvious absurdity of transiting to SFO from LAX via ICN - is considered cabotage by whatever rules KE uses to identify it.

The law is dumb enough as is, but it is doubly dumb given that my scenario and associated itinerary is not cabotage in practice given that it is actually a multi-leg O&D - it is just very short O&D. Of course one can just blame KE's interpretation of it (I doubt the US would ever go after KE for this routing), but my point is that dumb laws have real impacts and that KE at least considers that route as breaking cabotage laws despite the prima facie absurdity of it being such.