FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:21 pm
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

When I retired in 1998, my original retired ID card did say "indefinite." My active duty ID card also said "indefinite" but that was long before CACs. It must have been about 10 years ago when we went to get Mrs. Flies' dependent ID card renewed that they gave me a new one with my 65th birthday as the expiration. I think I wrote upstream that the NCO said that the DoD did this specifically for Medicare enrollment.

I chose to stay with my federal civilian plan which you can take into retirement. I never signed up for Tricare for Life. (I guess I still have what they used to call CHAMPUS Basic which was free but didn't cover much of anything.) I will sign up for Medicare Part A which is a no-brainer because you paid for it during your working lifetime.
My original retired ID (1992) had Indefinite listed. I went with my wife to renew her Dependents ID at some point and went ahead and updated mine. That is when the Indefinite came off and listed the Expiration Date for age 65. The card issued at 65 went back to indefinite. Still don't have a CAC, just the old DD Form 2.​​​​​​ Guess I'll never have to get another card issued.