FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The hotel's reaction to the forgotten thing in the room
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:14 am
seat38a

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by scracer14
Recently stayed at a Residence Inn on the west side of Cleveland for a wedding (on points). Girlfriend left a pair of earrings and the hotel mailed them (at thier cost) as a courtesy without request after my girlfriend called and asked them to hold them for a family friend. Problably cost them $20, but I will surely stay there multiple times in the future while coming home to see family.

In the OP's case, it cost the hotel nothing to lose a customer (and possibly other's from hearing his story). In my case is COST the hotel $20 + time and effort to win a customers loyalty. Today there's so many hotel brands even just within Marriott. It would seem like selling 1 more room, a few weeks a year would be worth the investment (unless of course they typically sell out every night - then no need to win anyone's loyalty).
I have a feeling, it depends on the item left behind. If the hotel ate the cost of every sweater, phone charger or other trivial stuff then it would add up quickly. Something like a ring or earrings I have a feeling they make an exception. Just my theory.