Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The hotel's reaction to the forgotten thing in the room

The hotel's reaction to the forgotten thing in the room

Old Aug 5, 19, 11:31 pm
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 29,310
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
As I read the responses, I wondered where all the "you're crazy if you think they should pay for it" responses were from, and had to re-read to see if I missed "and it should cost me nothing".

Nope.
It certainly wasn’t clear. “Send it to me in the mail, with no hassle” is certainly not, “ship it to me and I’ll pay the cost”.

Like many threads, the lack of details, how far away the property was, certainly contributed to any confusion there was.
seat38a likes this.
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Old Aug 5, 19, 11:33 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,260
Originally Posted by Jay555 View Post
A premier inn once sent me my phone and didnít charge me for it when Iíd left it charging in the room. And itís not like there is much room to absorb such costs in a low cost place.
Yes, it is funny that people think a 5* hotel means they are very nice. Somewhat like how people think rich people are very nice. When everybody knows poor are more charitable (in comparison to how much money they have).
s0ssos is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 11:45 pm
  #33  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Posts: 6,874
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Yes, it is funny that people think a 5* hotel means they are very nice. Somewhat like how people think rich people are very nice. When everybody knows poor are more charitable (in comparison to how much money they have).
I donít think anyone is supposing that a 5* is nicer, but that part of what you are paying more for is better service.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 11:52 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,260
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I donít think anyone is supposing that a 5* is nicer, but that part of what you are paying more for is better service.
Yes, but as we all know, you don't actually mean service. You mean "caring". And as we all know those who care for you most aren't doing it for the money.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 11:55 pm
  #35  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Posts: 6,874
Iím pretty sure I do mean service But anyways, letís agree to disagree on what I mean and move on.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Aug 6, 19, 1:03 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,016
But "organise the delivery" would involve TIME and effort on the part of someone at the hotel. Isn't there automatically a cost (to the hotel) of that? Mentioning cheaper options involving using the local "regular mail" system to send the item shows a clear expectation that the hotel staff would package, pay for, and post the item surely? What am I missing here?
trooper is offline  
Old Aug 6, 19, 3:08 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bounding Around The Good 'Ole USA In My Chevrolet
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
To me, the problem is requiring you to organize the shipping yourself. Does this mean that you would need to hire someone local to go to the hotel and put the thing in suitable packaging rather than having some hotel staff member take care of such details? People leave stuff behind all the time in hotel rooms and the hotel should have a process to efficiently sent the items, although it's not unreasonable to expect the guest to pay FedEx or whatever fees, ideally using the hotel's account with a good discount attached.
No...no discount. Full price plus a handling fee...usually 25%.
hotelboy is offline  
Old Aug 6, 19, 8:30 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Posts: 348
Recently stayed at a Residence Inn on the west side of Cleveland for a wedding (on points). Girlfriend left a pair of earrings and the hotel mailed them (at thier cost) as a courtesy without request after my girlfriend called and asked them to hold them for a family friend. Problably cost them $20, but I will surely stay there multiple times in the future while coming home to see family.

In the OP's case, it cost the hotel nothing to lose a customer (and possibly other's from hearing his story). In my case is COST the hotel $20 + time and effort to win a customers loyalty. Today there's so many hotel brands even just within Marriott. It would seem like selling 1 more room, a few weeks a year would be worth the investment (unless of course they typically sell out every night - then no need to win anyone's loyalty).
cy1978hk and HRSPGPutnik like this.
scracer14 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 19, 10:14 am
  #39  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Orange County California
Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Posts: 1,359
Originally Posted by scracer14 View Post
Recently stayed at a Residence Inn on the west side of Cleveland for a wedding (on points). Girlfriend left a pair of earrings and the hotel mailed them (at thier cost) as a courtesy without request after my girlfriend called and asked them to hold them for a family friend. Problably cost them $20, but I will surely stay there multiple times in the future while coming home to see family.

In the OP's case, it cost the hotel nothing to lose a customer (and possibly other's from hearing his story). In my case is COST the hotel $20 + time and effort to win a customers loyalty. Today there's so many hotel brands even just within Marriott. It would seem like selling 1 more room, a few weeks a year would be worth the investment (unless of course they typically sell out every night - then no need to win anyone's loyalty).
I have a feeling, it depends on the item left behind. If the hotel ate the cost of every sweater, phone charger or other trivial stuff then it would add up quickly. Something like a ring or earrings I have a feeling they make an exception. Just my theory.
Newman, margarita girl and EdofFX like this.
seat38a is offline  
Old Aug 6, 19, 3:03 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Posts: 1,717
Forgotten chargers is how hotels accumulate boxes of assorted chargers that they can lend to guests who forgot theirs elsewhere.
EricH is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:54 pm
  #41  
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Athens, GA USA
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 18,752
Perhaps I am alone in this, but in all my years of travel I have NEVER left any single item back at a hotel. I guess I am too anal and organized and keep things where I can pack them up properly.

I can say I would never even think of paying to ship a charger internationally.... I could probably buy a few for what the shipping cost would be to get the left behind one back to me.
wharvey is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 5:28 am
  #42  
NoY
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phuket & London
Programs: BA Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR bye bye, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,751
I left an item at Marriott Sky City Hong Kong. They recovered the item & offered to ship at my cost. Perfectly reasonable. And thats what I did. Simple.
NoY is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:51 am
  #43  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
I left an item at Marriott Sky City Hong Kong. They recovered the item & offered to ship at my cost. Perfectly reasonable. And thats what I did. Simple.
How did they organize the shipping? They charged you card or?
HRSPGPutnik is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:52 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,271
I think the courier thing is due to legal reason. What if it is a laptop charger but packed full of explosive or drug? The hotel probably didn't want to take the blame for initiated the shipment. Having said that, I have left items behind a few times and all of them were shipped back to me on the hotel's. I offered to pay but they don't need it.
HRSPGPutnik likes this.
Need is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:58 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,413
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Perhaps I am alone in this, but in all my years of travel I have NEVER left any single item back at a hotel.
You are alone in this

To add a datapoint to this thread now that it's reawakened, the St Regis Bangkok referred me to their business center who handles such requests, and they offered me several quotes for shipping speed and cost. I think they added a small handling surcharge. That's the level of service I would generally expect from a top tier property.

Asking a guest to send someone to put an item in a box or envelope seems ludicrous to me -- it's a few minutes of effort for the hotel vs a huge hassle for someone to arrange remotely in an unfamiliar city, with an unfamiliar language.
NoY and HRSPGPutnik like this.

Last edited by dtremit; Aug 8, 19 at 8:03 am
dtremit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: