FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question on HHonors Value
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:05 am
PHLGovFlyer

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by escape4
Regarding Casa Marina, in fairness I am seeing lots of days below $300 per night in October, and in September it can also be in the low to mid 200s. So 90k pts per night does not sound like a screaming deal except if stars align such as the specific time slot Oct 26-31 that you referred to where rates are on the high side AND standard point redemptions are still available, both at the same time.

Not that it makes your argument invalid however, just an observation about Casa Marina.
True. However, almost every high points cost property has a low season and a peak season. It's really all about the cpp value of the stay when you stay.

Originally Posted by B3nder
Additional problem is many people are miscalculating.
Case in point: Your incorrect example.

$2431 = 5 nights and 44points/ $. (14aspire+20base+quarterly 10)
$2431 = 5 nights and ~101200 points.
$2431 - 101200 points = 5 nights.

5 nights = 360,000 points.

$2431 - 101200 = 360000 points.
461200 points = $2431.
1 point = $0.00527.
Your example is NOT actually anywhere near 6.8cpp. It's under 5.3cpp.

And this is using an example at an expensive place many would never stay on cash, using a perfect multiple of 5 nights. All of the "best case scenario" attributes.
Of course it's a "best case" scenario. Why wouldn't someone desire to maximize (best case) the value of their HH points?

Oh, and your math is incorrect as well. The $2431 includes tax which doesn't earn points. And not everyone has the Aspire Card. And Hilton doesn't always run 10ppd promos. And the Casa Marina frequently prices higher than my example while still offering rooms for points. So I guess your example is best case...