FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wedding + Honeymoon: South Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong and Dubai
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:27 am
LDNConsultant

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Al Maha, A Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai (Day 1: Part 2)

After being dropped off by the golf cart, the hotel staff explained every aspect of the room as well as explained the basic of the resort. The resort includes full board – meaning the meals are included in the price. For each meal, you have a choice of dining in the privacy of your suite or dining at the hotel’s restaurant. There was tons of flexibility in terms of when you could dine in your villa, though if you wanted to eat in the restaurant, the hours were as follows:
  • Breakfast: 7:00AM-10:30AM
  • Lunch: 12:30PM-2:30PM
  • Dinner: 7:30PM to 10:00PM
Since both of us were hungry, we had lunch via room service. While numerous other reviews and bloggers have identified that “Al Maha’s food and beverage service was their weakness” – however I have to disagree. Room service was extremely prompt and usually was delivered 30 – 40 minutes of ordering. My wife and I had lunch outside on the patio and the server promptly set-up the table.

What a spread: Lamb kebab, pasta, salad, fries and medium rib-eye steak

What a view!

Quality of the food was excellent and hit the spot! The highlight of dining was the visit from our resident gazelle who always hang around the suite and always looking to have a some of our food.

The rates also include two desert activities per guest per day. The choices for activities include the following:
  • Falconry — You will be guided to the display site to witness the traditional Arabic art of falconry.
  • Nature walk — Your guide will interpret the amazing diversity of life in the desert and will provide an informative and educational experience on all the smaller desert wonders.
  • Ghaf tree walk — A ten minute drive into the conservation area to a grove of Ghaf trees. Wander around our desert “forest” while your guide tells you more about these fascinating life-giving trees.
  • Horse riding — A chance to see the desert from the back of an Arabian horse at sunrise. This is for experienced riders only and an 85kg weight limit applies.
  • Desert drive — A more extreme 4×4 drive in the dunes with beautiful desert scenery.
  • Wild life drive — The ideal opportunity to see the famous Arabian Oryx (Al Maha) and other indigenous fauna and flora.
  • Camel trek — A 25 minute trek from the resort into the dunes, to watch the sunset and toast it with a drink.
  • Sundowners — An alternative to the camels – a short trip in a vehicle out into the dunes to toast the setting sun.
  • Archery — Suitable time to be negotiated with your guide.

Al Maha Camel Trek:
Booking the activity was very simple. A quick call to hotel and highlighting which activity you want to partake – you will get a confirmation call.The camel trek started at 5:30 PM so that we could get to our final destination in time for the sunset. When we arrived (you will go through the spa & main pool area), the camels are all lined up (two people per camel).

Camel Trek

Camel Trek

The camel ride took about 30 – 35 minutes at which point we made it to our final location. The location is also aligns with the ‘Sundowner’ activity participants. After a quick bottle of beer and roughly 20-25 minutes of taking photos and enjoying the view – it was time to return to the resort.

Overall, I enjoyed the trek and would highly recommend it to anyone. The pace of the trek was just perfect and it wasn’t super intimate like other private tours – but it was highly enjoyable.

Al Maha – Al Diwaan:

Al Diwaan is the only restaurant on the hotel and its located one level below the lobby. The view from the restaurant during dinner was amazing – there is just something peaceful about the setting and its just you and a barren desert. Dinner consisted of a 3 course set and the menu is highlighted below:

Al Diwaan - Starter

Al Diwaan - Main Course

Al Diwaan - Dessert

The meal was perfectly passed and everything was brilliant!

Pan Fried Octopus

Wagyu Beef Carpaccio

Bedouin Platter

Argentinian Beef Fillet

I have no clue what this is.......... but it was refreshing!

We were extremely satisfied with dinner and can’t say enough good things about the food and service. For a resort with meals included – my skepticism was broken by Al Maha. After dinner, we went to our room to enjoy the night and we were surprised by a special gift from hotel management!