FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A330 Developments
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:57 pm
triplefives

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Arbeysix
The A330-900neo is not a good fit for CX's short haul network because it is heavier than the A330ceo. The neo's sweet spot is longer medium-long haul routes where the A350 is even stronger again. The 787 may be a better fit for CX short haul but I'm not sure how the numbers would stack up taking into account capex vs the "intelligent misuse" approach of just deploying surplus long haul aircraft on short haul routes when not operating long haul. I'm also not sure if CX has enough long haul frames for this approach taking into account the A350s on order net of 330/77W retirements. There's also the possibility of future performance enhancements to the A350 (including weight reduction, RR ultrafan if and when it materialises etc) to make them better short-haul performers.
I think the A350s and the 777X combined will replace the A330 fleet. There are still 5 or 6 A359s on order, 8 more A351s, and 21 777X for a total of at least 34 new airframes which will be enough to replace the current 31 A330s in the fleet.

I agree the smaller 787 would be better for exclusively short haul flying but CX's advantage is the ability to utilize their long haul aircraft on short haul return trips so that will probably be unlikely. Given the number of stand by passengers/staff travel I've noticed, it's not too hard to fill up the aircraft.