FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 5 years since reserving car for personal use, advice
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:49 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Plebian
That's a trick we didn't encounter in the past. Good to know.

Not to be nit-picky, but assuming your are correct for the car I rent:
Let's say I get the car at 9 pm on Day 1.
Would I need to return the vehicle AFTER 9 pm on Day 5 to count as a week?
I can do that, but I will need to schedule around this possibility.
The devil is in the details (of your particular rate). Some companies will only let you pay the weekly rate if you keep the car for at least 99 hours (four days plus three hours). If you keep the car for four days plus two hours, you might be charged the higher daily rate, plus the "additional hour" rate for the extra two hours.

Most -- but not all -- credit cards offer at least "secondary" rental car loss/damage coverage. If your personal insurance does not cover rental-car loss/damage, and you decline to buy the rider from your personal insurer, then secondary credit-card coverage would be primary in your case, since you would have no other collectable insurance.

I'm assuming that your rental would likely be for something like Monday-Friday, and not Thursday-Monday (which might qualify for lower weekend rates).

Do you belong to any organizations like AAA, AARP, USAA, Costco, etc., which offer discount codes with many of the major car-rental companies? Are you an alumnus of a college or university that has contract rental-car rates, and that also allows alumni to use those rates for leisure travel?

There are lots of ways to skin this cat.

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 20, 2019 at 6:59 pm