FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping at Concierge Lounge
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:58 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikebor
I tip at any lounge in the US where I feel the lounge attendant is friendly, caring and wants to help you. Cleveland Airport Marriott has 2 ladies at night, Kathy and Lynne and I always tip them. They bake fresh homemade cookies every night, are very friendly and go above and beyond. And it's my pleasure to tip them. They work hard.
Don't you think baking the cookies is just part of the hotel's standard operating procedure, and when Kathy and Lynne aren't there someone else would bake them? I don't see how carrying out a function of your job is going above and beyond. Nor do I see how being friendly and polite is going above and beyond.

I carry out my job functions every day while being friendly and polite. No one tips me, and I don't expect them to.

It seems like you're tipping not because they did something extra, or worked hard, but because you happen to enjoy the service they're required to provide. By this logic, you could tip your garbage man, local police officer, firemen, etc. Many of them work hard to provide services you enjoy at low pay too. Do you also tip the front desk clerks when they not only check you in, but go above and beyond by pointing out where the breakfast area is, which way to the elevators, or offer a map of the area?

I'm not judging you, it's your money to do with as you please, just pointing out the inconsistency.

I believe in tipping people whose income relies on tips (such as waitstaff in the US), or where there it's a standard, such as a bartender, bellhop, taxi driver. Not just anyone who is cheerfully performing the functions of their job.