FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A220 Consolidated Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:41 pm
Mountain Explorer

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bagels
Gotta remember- DL passed several times on the now-A220 and was perfectly intent on operating second-hand E90... until Bombardier offered a deal so good, Boeing sued. In DL's defense, while their website flags flights operated by the A220, they did little marketing for the aircraft; most of the hoopla, "game changing" portrayal surrounding the aircraft was manufactured by the DL fan boy internet community. And thus while the A220 is a fine aircraft, it will never live up to the reputation created for it. And personally, as somebody who sits in the back way too often, I would've preferred the 2x2 offered by the E90.
I don't see a whole lot of truth in there. As far as I can tell, DL has marketed the A220 almost as much as they marketed the A350. DL has been very clear that they are planning to use the A220 to fly to competitor hubs and on very competitive routes. It's pretty clear that DL sees this plane as a way to win new customers.

And yes technically it's true that DL didn't buy this plane right at launch, but that's just DL's style. DL rarely buys ANYTHING right at launch, preferring to wait until the kinks have been worked out and the prices have fallen. So for you to try and draw a conclusion about DL's opinion of the plane based on their delay is, at best, disingenuous.