FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:57 pm
freeagent

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by aztimm
So we're thinking of visiting Glacier NP in late September of this year. We'll fly in/out of Kalispell and rent a car, and probably stay at the Homewood Suites (perhaps an Airbnb, especially if someone has a recommendation). Prices look pretty decent, for that time of year.

Looking at the expected weather, it looks like average highs in September are 62, but in October about 52F, with lows about 15-20 degrees below.
Is that typically the rainy season?

Two things that I'm interested in doing:
* Day rafting trip: how are the short versions? we last rafted about 3 years ago in Nova Scotia, in August. I'm not sure we could take 3+ hours, even with wetsuits (all of the place I'm seeing say they provide wetsuits at no extra cost). Does anyone have a specific company to recommend?
* Horseback riding: again, probably the short version (1-1/2 hours it seems). I haven't been on a horse in recent memory, perhaps as a child, so don't want to commit for longer not knowing how I'll be. Again, any specific recommendations?

This will probably be a short-ish trip, out on a Wednesday or Thursday, return the following Monday. I figure we can arrange those 2 activities in advance, and as time/weather permit, we could do more (either more of those, or something by boat, an organized hike, etc.) Plus we'll have the car so we can just drive around a bit and explore during the days.

Anything else I should know? I do swim, but at that time of they year I think it is out of the question, outside at least. I'm up for nearly anything, without blowing the budget too much.

This will be part of a multi-long weekend series of state visits so I can visit all 50 states before I turn 50.
How late in September are you thinking of going? A lot of activities around Glacier National Park start to close for the season in mid September as it starts getting colder. Glacier National Park is huge and there is a lot to see. I'd recommend driving the Going to the Sun Road and taking a boat ride on Two Medicine Lake. At Two Medicine Lake you can do some self guided hikes that are relatively scenic yet fairly easy. The boat trip can be booked through the Glacier National Park Boat Co. it takes about 45 minutes each way, you can take a boat one way and hike back, or do a roundtrip.

For rafting most of them go down the Flathead River and the half day trips are long enough. At that time of year I would recommend a wetsuit as it will be about 60 degrees and the river is glacier runoff.

I'd recommend staying in either East or West Glacier for at least a night or two, it will be a better home base for some of the activities you are looking at doing. Its a trek to have to keep driving back and forth to Kalispell. Most of the activities will be based around those two towns.